Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have never had a GPS other than in a vehicle. What portable brand and model do you recommend for hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have never had a GPS other than in a vehicle. What portable brand and model do you recommend for hunting?

I have never had a GPS other than in a vehicle. What portable brand and model do you recommend for hunting?

Garmin. I have never known anyone that has not loved their Garmin.

Comment

Just like Charley said, get a Garmin. The Colorado and Oregon series units are pretty awesome.

Comment

Garmin, the Rhinos are great. We used them in Iraq and never had a problem in the world out of them.

Comment

Garmin is the way to go.

Comment

GARMIN?

You guys are so funny!!!!

I strongly recommend the iFINDER® Hunt™ C Handheld GPS from Lowrance.com. Not only it has all the functions of other GPS’s, it also shows hunting and Wild Life Management Units, US Forest Land, Military and other Government land, Town Ship and City limits, Historical places even in the most unlikely places and much much more O'YA including streets too!

Although it comes with a 64mb card, you might want to update to a SUNDISK 1.0 Meg card, and 1.0 is the largest you can use. I can hold Arkansas, Missouri, Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado and New Mexico.

If you decide to get one, make sure you have the latest CD’s that go along with it. Bass Pro has very good prices!

I use the iFINDER® Hunt™ C Handheld GPS along with “SPOT” (findmespot.com) and a Military Compass.

Comment

Garmins are great but more important is a good software to download. The more detailed the better.

Comment

Clay mentioned SPOT which I understand has saved several butts who were in trouble deep in the Rockies. Apparently this system will usually work even if satellite phones don't. Yes there are places in the mountains where for some reason the satellite phones will not connect. Cell phones almost never function for one reason or another deep in the hills . People who have SPOT or know folks who have had to use it highly recommend the feature. However, I am told that you NEVER set off unless it is a real emergency.

Comment

ishawooa

Check the “SPOT” out, I usually hunt alone and my wife can track my location and the places I’ve been for the past 30 days. It also has an I’m “OK” button that I use when I’m running late getting out. The “HELP” button you can program this before leaving home to contact anyone you want with a preset message you want and doesn’t have to be help me message. Combine this unit with my iFINDER® Hunt™ C Handheld GPS from Lowrance.com, you just can’t beat it!!

I have a General Class Ham Radio license and still with 50 watts VHF with the ability to uplink on Government repeaters especially Law Enforcement, I prefer my setup I have and I can also do satellite uplink with my transceiver but it’s not nearly reliable!!

Comment

I've never had one either but Rhino and Garmin looks like they make a pretty mean GPS.

Comment

Great reviews on the SPOT, but its not a GPS unit in the sense of what people refer to as GPS units these days. Its a emergency device which can transmit your location to others. Essentially it can not tell you where you are. Another note on it...it takes a subscription to activate/work.

Comment

I have to agree with Cpt Brad on the Garmin Rhino. I have never used one but I know it works well as a GPS, walkie-talkie and if you have two on the same frequency when you talk to one another it will give the other person your position.

I like the good old Garmin 12 unit as it is very inexpensive, not cheap. Also it is very user friendly.

Comment

I'll tell you all this and then I'll shut up. Yes Clay is right the IFINDER thingamajiggy is neat and it probably works great (its on my list of things to buy) BUT and I say BUT, I have lead a convoy from Kuwait to Bagdad on nothing but a Garmin Rhino. The 120 is scrambled so it is semi secured. And I have used one to lay a firing battery before. So to say I trust one is a little understated!

Comment

Garmin E-Trex.

Comment

I agree with texasfirst the garmin e-trex is great

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 300 yard .22lr
                                by fitch270
                                I wouldn’t spend that much on a 10/22 but I might on a bolt gun. For that kind of money I expect some style to go with it, of the Cooper or Annie level....
                                Today, 01:40 PM
                              • 300 yard .22lr
                                by jhjimbo
                                Would you spend $900 for a Ruger 10/22 to shoot 300yds ? A little over 1" at 100 and a little 0ver 6" at 300yds. Lapua and SK ammo used....
                                Today, 11:28 AM
                              • Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                                by jhjimbo
                                I like the Remington Golden Saber Black Belt 147gr 9mm (not +P) and the 180gr in .40. Check out the statistics. Some LEO friends always suggest the heavy...
                                Today, 01:28 PM
                              • Cheaper Than Dirt
                                by jhjimbo
                                Lots of ammo back in stock, but the prices are right up there to....
                                Today, 12:21 PM
                              • Reply to Trump
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                So Trumpish. Everything is about looking for dirt. Or making it up (e.g. the "birther" crap). The guy couldn't win on his merits ... because...
                                Today, 01:28 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X