Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to buy my first set of chest waders. I just looked at a pair from L.L.Bean. $399, no thanks, not for my first pair. Any i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to buy my first set of chest waders. I just looked at a pair from L.L.Bean. $399, no thanks, not for my first pair. Any i

I want to buy my first set of chest waders. I just looked at a pair from L.L.Bean. $399, no thanks, not for my first pair. Any ideas for a good set of waders not that high price, or is that normal?

You did not say what you intend on using them for. I have a pair of Cabelas Ultimate Waders. That is what they used to be called. They are in the $159-$169 range. I know they have the wader in the cataloge but don't know what they are called now. I've owed 2 pairs over the last 8-10 years. What happens eventually is that I wear out the seams from constant walking. I hunt in them constantly during duck season. I feel that I have definiatly got my moneys worth with both pairs. I had a 3mm pair of cablelas straight neopreane prior to that. I don't care what anyone says, Cabelas makes some really good gear. Hope that helps.

Comment

Hodge makes a good pair for around $70.

Comment

I intend to use them for trout fishing in streams.

Comment

To amend my answer then you can find some canvas types at a reasonable price. Having owed both canvas and neopreane type waders it is much easier to walk and manuver in the later. The 3mm are about as thin as you can get. For ones that are designed specifically for fishing I don't know. My hunting ones have be the ones I've fished in. I'm sure there are plenty out there. Happy fishing.

Comment

You can easily get a pair for under 100 at academy sports or other discount sporting goods stores especially now that its after hunting season. I don't know what kind of stores you have where you're at but duck season runs the prices here. If its during season you'll pay around 200 but after its about half.

Comment

For fishing look at Orvis. I own a pair that I have had for 12 yrs. Not even a scratch. They are made like the underarmor stuff, when you sweat it gets wicked away from your body. Sounds unimportant until you spend all day in them. They are also very loose until you get in the water and the stick to you. Then you get out of the water and that summner breeze fills up your waders. Almost Heavenly. My point is unless you are cold-natured stay away from neopreme.

Comment

Last year I bought two pair of Sterns Ducks Unlimited Mad Dog Gear waders at about $175.00 per pair. My son and I used them a little for two months of duck hunting, cleaned them up routinely, and properly stored them. About a month later the rubber bottoms were cracked at every seam. Stearns was rather mute but definately would not do anything about it since I had not retained my receipts. I'm going to fill them full of water on a 5 degree day, let them freeze, and let go with several loads of 3 1/2 T's.

Comment

I bought a pair of Cabelas waders a couple of years ago for about 65 bucks. They have worked great and held up well. THey are not breathable, but light and get the job done.

Comment

Jim,

I've had 2 set's of the Cabelas neopremes and they work great but I use them to duck hunt in very cold weather. You would burn up in them in warm weather. Took them for an early Teal hunt once. Never do that again.

Comment

Ya try Cabela's.com

Comment

I bought a pair of Cabela's Blue Stream Waders for $89.00. They are breathable and I wore them on the Big Horn River in Montana for 6 hours in 100+ heat! They kept my dry and cool.

Comment

i'd stay away from neoprene, too hot. most of the manufacturers are producing good, breathable waders these days. you didn't indicate whether you wanted a stocking foot to use with wading boots (which i strongly recommend) or a lug boot-footed wader. Dan Bailey waders, from Montana have been my choice for the past seven years. i average 50 days a year in mine and they do well. cost between $130-$225.

Comment

Get on the Website of Cabela's.com!

Comment

Get on the Website of Cabela's.com!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                                by PigHunter
                                I understand the reason someone would pick the heavier bullets. However, heavier bullets cause greater recoil and will affect recovery time and may result...
                                Today, 02:16 PM
                              • Cheaper Than Dirt
                                by jhjimbo
                                Lots of ammo back in stock, but the prices are right up there to....
                                Today, 12:21 PM
                              • Reply to 300 yard .22lr
                                by fitch270
                                I wouldn’t spend that much on a 10/22 but I might on a bolt gun. For that kind of money I expect some style to go with it, of the Cooper or Annie level....
                                Today, 01:40 PM
                              • 300 yard .22lr
                                by jhjimbo
                                Would you spend $900 for a Ruger 10/22 to shoot 300yds ? A little over 1" at 100 and a little 0ver 6" at 300yds. Lapua and SK ammo used....
                                Today, 11:28 AM
                              • Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                                by jhjimbo
                                I like the Remington Golden Saber Black Belt 147gr 9mm (not +P) and the 180gr in .40. Check out the statistics. Some LEO friends always suggest the heavy...
                                Today, 01:28 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X