Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about electric trolling motor for my canoe. Can't be the first guy to do this so I'm wondering about battery life, lbs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about electric trolling motor for my canoe. Can't be the first guy to do this so I'm wondering about battery life, lbs.

Thinking about electric trolling motor for my canoe. Can't be the first guy to do this so I'm wondering about battery life, lbs. of thrust, etc. Any tips/experience appreciated. I usually don't beleive ads that claim all day fishing and the like so please pass on real world experience. Thanks.

My cousin has one mounted on a 14-ft aluminum "John Boat". If I remember correctly, it has 13 lbs of thrust. At the high setting, it will get the boat moving pretty qucikly. As far as battery life, we can go out in the morning for duck hunting with lights and the motor on (all off the same battery), collect the decoys and return to the dock; and still have time to do some fishing and trolling later in the day. The motor has a chart of battery life vs. speed. I believe at high speed (setting 5), it has 2.5 hours of battery life; and at low (setting 1), it could run for 13 hours... All of this is on an aluminum flat-bottom boat; so I don't know how it would perform on a canoe. If I had to guess, I would say it would do better on a canoe, since it is smaller, lighter, ect.

Comment

I looked into getting a trolling motor for my canoe, but was dissapointed to find out if I put an electric motor on it, I had to pay for registration of the boat, as if it were a standard boat. Be sure to check into this in your state to make sure you will not have a huge extra cost besides the trolling motor.

Comment

I use a trolling motor on my 11 ft jon boat and one on my bass boat... they are great. Each motor will tell you the hours of operation you can expect at the various speeds. They work very well. You will of course have to get a battery or two and a charger to support it.

Comment

I would not buy less than a 30 lb thrust motor, its better to have extra power than not enuff. You'll need a good deep cell battery, deep cells are made to take many dischargs and charges. You may even go as far as to buy a solar trickle charger (43.00 at walmart) to keep the battery going thru out the day.

Comment

I need to correct my post. His trolling motor is a 30 thrust-pound electric trolling motor.

Comment

a minnkota would be the best

Comment

optima yellow top. i use one in my 12 fiber glass row boat for my primary trolling motor wich is my only motor . i charged it at the biging of the summer and used it on and off but it still has 3/4 charge but it's a heavy sob

Comment

here's a link for one
                  http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jsp?cmCat=MainCatcat21276-cat601333&id=cat350007

Comment

I agreed with DakotaMan answer!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad