Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I found this old video the other day, and the gentleman hosting the video was showing how to butcher a deer. He had this tool t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found this old video the other day, and the gentleman hosting the video was showing how to butcher a deer. He had this tool t

I found this old video the other day, and the gentleman hosting the video was showing how to butcher a deer. He had this tool that he used to break the sternum and the pelvis. It looked like a long "U." Has anybody ever seen a tool like this?

no i haven't

Comment

was it a knife type (sharp) or was he driving it with a hammer?

Comment

you could make one fairly easily take a 1x2 flat steel sharpen one side then heat and bend and weld a 1" piece of round stock to it and you have it. Most guys I now either us a hatchet or a thick blade knife and drive it through. Your idea would be safer and a cleaner more controled cut.

Comment

What he did was place the end of the U on around the sternum and then pulled up, the sternum cut like butter. I don't know if the insides of the U where sharp or not.

Comment

You shouldn't need to break the sternum or pelvis in order to butcher a deer. By breaking them, you increase the risk of bone fragments in your meat.

Comment

AH I know the knife of which you speak, unfortunatly I don't know who makes it (I'll Check around) It is split has a pretty good blade and has another on top with about a one inch gap that runs about 6-8 inches. You can skill with the blade then lever up and cut the ribs and tenderloins out. Crap I wish I could remeber, I can see it, black handle like a butcher knife.

Comment

the only thing ive seen like that opens the rib cage up like is it two parts than u push down and it opens the rib cage

Comment

Nope don't know of it.

Comment

Yes I have!

Comment

Yes I have!

Comment

Yes I have!

Comment

Yes I have!

Comment

Yes I have!

Comment

Yes I have!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad