Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am looking for a good elk rifle, and possible moose rifle. I have a .243 so I am hoping for something larger. Any suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAShooter
    replied
    I used to hunt elk with my 7mm Rem mag, now I use a 325 WSM. There are a lot of good cilibers to hunt elk and moose, use one that you are comfortable with.

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Leave a comment:

• hfedder40
    replied
    don't listen to any of them listen to me go for a 270 go on to the internet and search r w hart rifles buy one from them its my uncle he has long range big game rifles

Leave a comment:

• IanS
    replied
    I know a guy who regularly hunts moose with a 243. It would not be my first choice but he always comes home with a moose.

I have a 270 and if I had a chance to go moose hunting I would not hesitate for a second.

If you are buying a new one treat yourself and buy a Tikka T3. You will not be dissappointed!

Leave a comment:

• mcdlacrosse9
    replied
    I would get a .30-06. I have a bolt-action Ruger that works pretty well for almost anything.

Leave a comment:

• CavRecon
    replied
    I would lean toward a .338

Leave a comment:

• rod berscheid
    replied
    a 243 is legal for all big game species in most provinces, but it should not be. It has a lot of energy with a 90gr bullet. It is not so much the energy as it is the momentum and diameter of wound channel that produces a clean kill. Go with at least a .277 dia with a 150+ grain projectile with good terminal ballistics characteristics: mass retention and expansion (see Barnes or Nosler)

Too light a projectile going very fast, can leave a narrow wound channel because the terminal ballistics do not produce expansion quick enough to create a significant wound channel. These type of impacts will leave an eventually lethal wound channel. But who wants an eventually lethal wound channel? Has too lethal ever been an issue in the field. What,it died too quickly and humanely?

A hypodermic needle and an air bubble can kill, but can you guarantee that kind of placement?

Rod

Leave a comment:

• rod berscheid
    replied
    a 243 is legal for all big game species in most provinces, but it should not be. It has a lot of energy with a 90gr bullet. It is not so much the energy as it is the momentum and diameter of wound channel that produces a clean kill. Go with at least a .277 dia with a 150+ grain projectile with good terminal ballistics characteristics: mass retention and expansion (see Barnes or Nosler)

Too light a projectile going very fast, can leave a narrow wound channel because the terminal ballistics do not produce expansion quick enough to create a significant wound channel. These type of impacts will leave an eventually lethal wound channel. But who wants an eventually lethal wound channel? Has too lethal ever been an issue in the field. What,it died too quickly and humanely?

A hypodermic needle and an air bubble can kill, but can you guarantee that kind of placement?

Rod

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Bowers
    replied
    This sounds like the old "which caliber is better" argument in another form.

I would go with .30-06. Now before I get jumped on, hear this part...

Pumakitchen (and the story behind that name must be something), stated elk, maybe moose.

Now the venerable over-hundred-years-old .30-06 is available in a zillion loads from anybody, and probably available locally in his favorite flavor. Add to that the fact that any rifle company is going to have at least one choice, if not twenty, in this caliber means he can choose more to his fancy.

Leave a comment:

• Far Rider
    replied
    The .270 and .300 WSM's have very mild recoil for the performance you get and with the right loads are plenty enough for elk and moose.

Leave a comment:

• Alex Williams
    replied
    300wsm compact and can take anything from deer to brown bear.

Leave a comment:

• sheephunter08
    replied
    I'm a fan of the 300 Mag. Great straight shooting rifle!

Leave a comment:

• texasfirst
    replied
    .270 or for big game such as you mention, 300 Win Mag.

Leave a comment:

• bomberpride
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Beekeeper
    replied
    Good bolt action in .308 or 30/06

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad