Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm looking for a new lever action to that shoots .45-70. Everything so far has led me to Marlin. Am I on the right path. Any

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking for a new lever action to that shoots .45-70. Everything so far has led me to Marlin. Am I on the right path. Any

I'm looking for a new lever action to that shoots .45-70. Everything so far has led me to Marlin. Am I on the right path. Any better options?

I'm not to sure about any other options, but I have a Marlin 45/70 and its a great and rugged rifle. It will take a beating and still shoot just as good as if it were new.

Comment

Marlin is the way to go unless you want to spend a lot of money on a custom lever gun.

Comment

The only other rifles in lever action in 45-70 would be an old collector's savage or winchester, talking thousands of dollars...

Comment

Marlins are some of the best rifles. Your other options are to waste a couple thosand on a custom or buy an old collecters gun thats good for nothing. So get the Marlin.

Comment

I have had both Winchesters and Marlins and even a Browning in the past, I would go with Marlin, just bought one two weeks ago.

Comment

I would deffinately go with an 1895 Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun. We have one and they are great. It is supprisingly accurate, and has a relatively low recoil. You should deffinately get one if you want a 45-70.

Comment

mossberg recently statred making a lever action that got rave reviews, not sure if it's available in .45-70 but may be.

Comment

Yes, yes and yes. You have options, too. 18.5, 22, and 24 inch barrels, stainless or blued, laminated or walnut. If you plan on using .45-70 to the extent of its range, get the 1895mxlr. If you need something fast, compact and handy, get the guide guns. If you want to spend the money, get the 1895SBL, decked out with features that make it about as good as a pissed bear gun as can be had. A compromise, and the most traditional is the regular old (yet still awesome) 1895. You can't go wrong, and you'll have a very versatile gun. lighter loads that don't kick much for deer, and furious hot loads (just about as powerful as a .458 Win Mag) with monster bullets good for anything on the planet.

Comment

I own an 1895GS and love it. Guide gun and Stainless, How could you ever improve on that??? Also though you could look at the Browning BLR (I think they only come in 450 Marlin) if you want a change. I had one in 358 and loved it. I sold it like an idiot becasue shells were 2 bucks a pop. I now pay 5 or 6 for some of my guns.... The wood is better and the action is smooth like butter.

Comment

Excellent choice in any of the Models offered...

Comment

I bought a Marlin 1895SS .45-70 a few months ago and I'am very happy with it........
                        It has a longer barrel than the Guide model and is not ported......My other Marlin is a 336CB in .38-55 and I enjoy shooting them both......My first .45-70 was a Springfield 1875 Trapdoor which is still my favorite.....

Comment

I've never been a fan of lever action rifles but you never hear anything bad about Marlin.

Comment

I love my Marlin!

Comment

I love my Marlin!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to The Culture of Lying
                                by MattM37
                                I'd say it goes all the way back to the beginning. There are just a lot more ways to hear the lies nowadays.

Westward expansion, gold rushes,...
                                Today, 02:36 PM
                              • The Culture of Lying
                                by jhjimbo
                                The culture of lying is epidemic in Washington, D.C. and the rest of the Country. How did this get started? Was it Richard Nixon ? The crooked main...
                                Today, 08:16 AM
                              • Reply to Hhs
                                by MattM37
                                Not yet. It was decided to place it on the 2024 ballot, so it might or might not become law.

If it does, it'll be for homeless people...
                                Today, 02:12 PM
                              • Hhs
                                by jhjimbo
                                Hotels in CA have to give a list of empty rooms every day by 3PM so they can be given to a homeless person.
                                08-13-2022, 04:13 PM
                              • Reply to Rainwater warning.
                                by MattM37
                                Well, I don't use the gutter spout as a drinking fountain anyway -- except when I'm really, really thirsty.

No mention in the article...
                                Today, 01:45 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X