What say you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What say you?

They say there are two moments of joy in the life of every boat owner, the day he buys it and the day he sells it.

Personally, I like all the days inbetween.

Comment

The day I sold my 40', twin-cat diesel, custom built sportsfisherman brought me joy that has lasted thirty years. That [email protected] boat nearly drove me crazy---seems like it couldn't go two days without something majorly expensive breaking down.

It was sort of a different story with the sportsfisherman I sold to buy the bad dog mentioned above. The old boat was slow, wooden, Harker's Island with few amenities, but it always got me there and back. She wouldn't pound, even in the roughest seas. Several years after I got completely out of the boat business, I happened to be killing time at a marina, waiting for a friend, when I spotted a burned out hull tied to the dock. When I got closer, the flare of the bow and the tumblehome aft were unmistakable---it was the old Trade Winds. I stood and looked at the hulk, remembering a whole lot of good times with that boat and got more than a little misty-eyed seeing what had become of her. She was a fine sea boat, in spite of being old and kind of slow (like me, now). I found out later that she had been struck by lightning at the dock and burned until she sank. The owners salvaged the GM diesels and, after I saw her, they loaded the hull with a couple of car bodies and some old appliances and towed her out and made an artificial reef. I thought that was appropriate.

Comment

It's like People wanting an In~ground Pool cost 20K it's a money pit value when they sell the House 10K+/-. Ya better off at the YMCA Pool or at the Beach!!!

Comment

I enjoyed my plastic John boat that I paddled like a kayak. Not very nimble but it got the job done. But this winter we tied it to the back of my truck to use as a sled, and when it flipped it ripped a hole in it. Now I have a plastic John sled.

Comment

Originally posted by country road View Post
            The day I sold my 40', twin-cat diesel, custom built sportsfisherman brought me joy that has lasted thirty years. That [email protected] boat nearly drove me crazy---seems like it couldn't go two days without something majorly expensive breaking down.

It was sort of a different story with the sportsfisherman I sold to buy the bad dog mentioned above. The old boat was slow, wooden, Harker's Island with few amenities, but it always got me there and back. She wouldn't pound, even in the roughest seas. Several years after I got completely out of the boat business, I happened to be killing time at a marina, waiting for a friend, when I spotted a burned out hull tied to the dock. When I got closer, the flare of the bow and the tumblehome aft were unmistakable---it was the old Trade Winds. I stood and looked at the hulk, remembering a whole lot of good times with that boat and got more than a little misty-eyed seeing what had become of her. She was a fine sea boat, in spite of being old and kind of slow (like me, now). I found out later that she had been struck by lightning at the dock and burned until she sank. The owners salvaged the GM diesels and, after I saw her, they loaded the hull with a couple of car bodies and some old appliances and towed her out and made an artificial reef. I thought that was appropriate.
            CR- That is a great story.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
              It's like People wanting an In~ground Pool cost 20K it's a money pit value when they sell the House 10K+/-. Ya better off at the YMCA Pool or at the Beach!!!
              They say it is better to have a friend who owns a boat than to own a boat yourself.

Comment

That relates very much to my first wife, things are not nearly/really as bad in present memory as in past, and it also makes me rather misty eyed ! Good story CR !!

Comment

I gotta say I do like my boat but what a hassle it is to keep up with it. The best day when i really loved it was when it died on me and I was stuck out in the middle of the lake. Someone saw me pulling it around on shore and came to the rescue. Drove it 2hrs to get to the lake and just to get stuck on it. I got a kayak and I'm starting to like it more but they both have there moments. Also it depends on if I got the time to put it in and take it out of the water. Right now I'm not ready to get rid of the pain yet. I still have a couple years left before I might get rid of it.

Comment

Never owned a real big boat but the one I own I love ! Many great days out on the water with friend and family mostly fishing. Worth every dime.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
                      They also say have a friend with a pool, then one with out a pool!!

Comment

A boat is a hole in the water into which one pours money. The bigger the boat, the more money required!

Comment

My parents boat was a 38' Inland Seas that did not really cost a lot. It had 6V53's and got about 4mpg at about 15knots. My Father was a truck driver so he had the tractor and trailer to haul the boat in the fall and had a place to park it indoors. So main cost was the dockage at the marina. In those days we kept track of the purchases and at the end of the year got a refund of tax on all the fuel we bought that included road tax.

Comment

Wonder if I'm still Country Road in my own post?

Comment

Nope.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to TGIF; Armageddon
                                by FirstBubba
                                The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

Lyrics

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                Of the big lake they called Gitche...
                                Today, 08:07 PM
                              • TGIF; Armageddon
                                by fitch270
                                Not sure how this week will play out, the idea just came to mind.

Nickelback

“If Today Was Your Last Day”

Today, 07:11 AM
                              • Reply to TGIF; Armageddon
                                by FirstBubba
                                Yeppers!

Superior it's said, never gives up her dead....

From what I've read, they never did locate the ship....
                                Today, 08:02 PM
                              • Reply to Hornady precision hunter ammo
                                by Milldawg
                                That’s what I’m hoping....
                                Today, 08:00 PM
                              • Hornady precision hunter ammo
                                by Milldawg
                                Found some hornady precision hunter in 25-06 110 grain ELDX bullets. Anyone have any experience with it at all. Found six boxes just wondering before...
                                Today, 11:51 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X