Scope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scope

I was looking on-line and across 2 Simmons scopes that I might trying out on a Remington 700 30-06 and maybe a Winchester model 70 7mm Rem Mag. When I First started hunting as a kid in the backwoods of Ga I used the 8-point 3/9x40 scopes that I picked up at Wally World. Since then I pretty much stick to Nikon, Vortex, and primary arms optics. Has anyone used the 6-18x44 or the 6-24x50 scopes or know someone that does use either of them.

I use a 4-12x50 Bushnell (old eyes) on my varmint rifle, more power then that in Fl,heat. I found to be a wast of money.

Comment

Personally, on a hunting rifle, I'd prefer less magnification and less bulk, and better quality. I have a 2-7x32 on my favourite .30/06 and it serves well - plenty of magnification for a long shot on big game, coupled with a good wide field at 2x for those critters bounced out of cover and taken at a gallop. Nice and light and compact too, and easy to mount it low.

I have various 1.5-6, 2-7 and 3-9 scopes, a couple of 4x and a couple of 6x on rifles used for hunting various game and pests, big and small. I've used higher magnification but no longer have any higher magnification scopes mounted - my last remaining 4-12, a Redfield, got moved off a varmint rifle in favour of a better-quality 3-9. A 3-9 will generally offer the best value for money too, as there are more of them made, so you get economies of scale and discounts. I'd rather pay for good reliability and decent glass than more magnification and larger lenses, all else being equal.

A 6-18 or 6-24 scope might suit some classes of target shooting, or perhaps varminting, but even there you pay a price with lessened field as you go up in magnification, and growing issues with limited depth of field, parallax and mirage at the higher magnifications. Coupled with a 50mm objective you also get additional bulk. Certainly not my choice on a hunting rifle.

But hey, YMMV, and it is your money.

Comment

I'm with DanielM. BuY I like a bit more magnification than he. I have 4x12 scopes. I wish I had 2x10. I rarely go above 10x mag for hunting but do like the lower mag when spot and stalking or for closer shots.

Comment

I wouldn't even try Sarge. When you enter the realm of high magnification scopes, you are talking about the optical precision for very accurate shooting shooting at targets, varmints or for very long range hunting. The lenses and turret controls must be exceptionally precise, otherwise the cross hair appears to be aimed where it is not. In the Simmons price range, almost everything of value in a scope must be made of plastic, including the lenses. Consistency from unit to unit is difficult and above all, wear or breakage of plastic components will typically cause failures within short periods of use. They tend to work very well in the safe but not so well in the field.

If your rifle sits in a safe for one shot per year at a deer under a corn feeder at 35 yards, you should be fine but then again... if that is the case, why use such a high magnification? As an example, my friend bought an inexpensive BSA 6-24x for his long range .308. For months he loved it and considered himself among the really fortunate. The rifle shot .1-.2" groups at 100 yards and was nailing 3" groups at 500 meters. Then after about 150 rounds, his 500 meter groups opened up to 24" and he could not drop his holdover down to hit anything at 300 meters any more. This level of reliability is typical of these very inexpensive scopes. The scope was thrown away and he would have been much better off to have applied the cost of that scope to a good one. He replaced it with a $500 used Vortex Viper PST and continues to shoot lights out with that scope. Unfortunately, as they say... "There is no free lunch", or "You get what you pay for".

Most of my prairie hunting rifles carry 6.5-20x or 6-24x scopes for precision shooting in the 500-1000 yard range. And most of them carry fully transferable lifetime warranties from their manufacturers (Leupold and Vortex) as an indication of their reliability. The quality of the lenses is such that I can shoot 3" five shot groups at 1000 yards with all of them. You can find better high magnification scopes but not for under $3000.

I can not vouch for a Simmons high magnification scope because I would never try one, but I CAN vouch for a Leupold 6.5-20, Vortex Viper PST 6-24x or 6-24x Bushnell Elite Tactical in that magnification with the Vortex Viper HST being the best value (most capability for the dollar) among the bunch. I use the Viper PST so I can see the reticle for very low light varmint shooting or hunting at 0-dark-30. I do hunt deer, antelope, foxes and coyotes with all these rifles and can pick up a speeding antelope at 50 yards with no problem on 6x. I prefer 2x for close woods game but have shot a lot of close range running game with these scopes. They've all shot a lot of prairie dogs at 1000 yards with no problem.

Obviously, all these scopes are large and heavy for a woods carry rifle but when you need to hit something with precision at a long range, they can't be beat. Your long range accuracy really improves when you can see where you are aiming and the cross hair view is controlled with optical precision. With modern propellants and Sierra Match King or Berger bullets and an accurate barrel/chamber cut, and glass/pillar bedding, your 30-06 could be exceptionally accurate at 1000 yards. I have one that shoots in the .1 MOA range (a Howa 1500 that cost $375 used).

Comment

Late '80s - early '90's the upper magnification bug bit me and I bought 20x up variables for everything , including rimfire. I bought one 6.5x20 Leupold. It's the only one that made it to 5 years plus. All the others crapped out. Repeatability of adjustments went first followed by brightness and holding zero. My opinion is that if you want to play above 20x, either fixed or variable, you will have to pay for it. Nothing makes a shooter pull his hair or gnash his teeth like when his rifle suddenly starts shooting all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by captaingraybeard View Post
              I'm with DanielM. BuY I like a bit more magnification than he. I have 4x12 scopes. I wish I had 2x10. I rarely go above 10x mag for hunting but do like the lower mag when spot and stalking or for closer shots.
              I have what your looking for a Weaver K-10 2.5~10 x Wide View.(TV) in mint wt Box. @ last Gun Show.

Comment

I would not waste my time and money on Simmons scopes unless that was all that was available. Over the years some of their optics have been just ok and others wretched due to changing designs and outsource manufacturers. The only low end scope I would consider is a Burris Fullfield II. Happy Trails

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
                  I would not waste my time and money on Simmons scopes unless that was all that was available. Over the years some of their optics have been just ok and others wretched due to changing designs and outsource manufacturers. The only low end scope I would consider is a Burris Fullfield II. Happy Trails
                  You sound a little full of yourself this morning...can't put my finger on why. New shoes? Wash your car?

Comment

I would want a scope that goes down to 2X.

Comment

I had a Simmons 3-9 on a Savage 270 (came with the gun). Held zero and did fine for what I used it for. Not a real clear image and didn't seem very bright during the day, but I could see fine at the edge of shooting hours. For such a high magnification though, I have to assume you're shooting far, and I don't know how a Simmons would handle that.

Comment

Already tired of the whining bunch from West Georgia AKA Auburn crybabies who didn't make it to the Ship.

Comment

Well congrats again. Top talent, and as much as it pains me, smart coach too. That Jalen Hurts kid showed himself well, although I bet he’s feeling low. You don’t see that kind of maturity in a lot of NFL qb’s.

Comment

I'm finally down off my buzz. What a nail-biter of a game. I don't take it over seriously sort of like rifles.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                              Late '80s - early '90's the upper magnification bug bit me and I bought 20x up variables for everything , including rimfire. I bought one 6.5x20 Leupold. It's the only one that made it to 5 years plus. All the others crapped out. Repeatability of adjustments went first followed by brightness and holding zero. My opinion is that if you want to play above 20x, either fixed or variable, you will have to pay for it. Nothing makes a shooter pull his hair or gnash his teeth like when his rifle suddenly starts shooting all over the place.
                              That's the issue Dewman. All scopes look pretty much alike from the outside but they don't all work the same and they certainly don't hold up the same.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to TGIF; Any Questions?
                                by fitch270
                                Tell me about it, I smile through gritted teeth at that one as I graduated HS in ‘85.

Speaking of Whitesnake.

Today, 07:52 PM
                              • TGIF; Any Questions?
                                by fitch270
                                I’ll take song titles for $1000 Alex.

Yesterday, 08:34 PM
                              • Reply to topic
                                by FirstBubba
                                You can only float the gears if the central processing unit rpm matches the hard drive ratio.
                                Double clutching also works if you find the sound...
                                Today, 07:42 PM
                              • topic
                                by jhjimbo
                                08-06-2022, 08:29 PM
                              • Reply to topic
                                by franchi20
                                Pick edit at the bottom of your post; choices will show up in a bar and include "delete". That will do what you want. Just for fun, l purposely...
                                Today, 07:03 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X