Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long should I set the delay on my trail cam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long should I set the delay on my trail cam?

I got a new toy! I got myself a trail cam for Christmas. How should I set the delay for? It can be like 5 seconds, a minute, or 5 minutes. I don't understand which I should set it for

That calls for a bit of a balance.
    Set it to 5 seconds and your card fills up quickly with shots of the same animal(s).
    Set it to 5 minutes and you get only one picture or a partial picture.
    I'd start in the middle and decide later whether to speed up or slow down the reset.
    Good luck.

Comment

If you are watching a trail where the deer are moving through, set it for a shorter time - a few seconds. If you are watching a bait pile, set it longer as the deer are in the same spot for some time.
      Make sure to point it N so you don't get the sun and clear out all brush in front of it or the brush will trigger a picture. Good luck and show us some pictures.

Comment

I put my for 8 seconds because I get a lot of moose with calves in my picture and they don't pass the camera at the same time. 5 second maybe good because there might be another animal behind an other

Comment

Jimbo nailed it in regards to the timing. The direction its pointing is probably more important than the reset timer. If you put a camera out now, remember, travel patterns will change into spring and summer.

Comment

If it's over a trail I put the lockout time to 5 seconds. If I have the camera over bait though I usually set it for 30 seconds or more so I'm not getting tons of pictures of the same deer

Comment

It all depends also on how long your leaving the camera out for. If it's a couple days then 5 secs can be good if it's longer then a couple weeks, then longer would be better. Also like others suggested if your baiting or not. The thing I like to do is let it take a pic then count, if I feel it's to long for the sec pic then just change it.

Comment

I only have two cameras that actually have delays. I use them over feeding areas along my field set with a 5 sec delay. I can't say i'ver ever had an issue with memory using 16gb cards. I try to check them every few weeks. I just use the cheap still/video only cameras along trails. No need to spend the $ on features that I won't even use.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                  If you are watching a game camera where the deer are moving through, set it for a shorter time - a few seconds. If you are watching a bait pile, set it longer as the deer are in the same spot for some time.
                  Make sure to point it N so you don't get the sun and clear out all brush in front of it or the brush will trigger a picture. Good luck and show us some pictures.
                  Great answer!!!
                  Actually I think it is a little bit troublesome to change the delay frequently. I usually set the middle choice.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Richard Thompson; 08-21-2019, 06:01 AM.

Comment

While game cams can be neat, I stay out of my woods as much as possible pre season.
                    Heck, if no acorns I stay out until almost gun season.
                    Think too many move stands, check cams and educate the deer before the opener.

Comment

Bud said he wants game cams to see what else is out there. Bought some Muddy brand for 50 and will set by the corner where I shot my last 3 of 4 bucks.

Bucked out both of us. Now we are just gonna try to blast stuff on video. More interested in shooting coyotes.
                      Last edited by CD2; 11-25-2019, 02:23 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE = Richard Thompson; n712632]

Excellente réponse !!!
                        En fait, je pense qu'il est un peu gênant de changer fréquemment le retard. Je mets généralement le choix du milieu.audacity temp mail origin [/ QUOTE]

Woww la photo est super
                        J'adore
                        Last edited by Fleurrose; 12-12-2019, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad