Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm ready to get into flyfishing and I think I can pick a good rod (although I'm not sure about length), but what about the reel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm ready to get into flyfishing and I think I can pick a good rod (although I'm not sure about length), but what about the reel

I'm ready to get into flyfishing and I think I can pick a good rod (although I'm not sure about length), but what about the reels. They all look the same to me. Whats a good reel and good price and do they all have the same features?

Sorry about the avatar, I should have put a fishing pic in there.

Comment

Rod length might depend on the size of the river your in, I use a 9' rod most of the time, except when I steelhead then it's 10'.

You can get a good reel from Ross. I like the large arbor ones myself. There are plenty to choose from depending on your price range.

Comment

You can't go wrong with a Ross reel- they are the best for the money. I also like the Cabelas SLA reels.
        A nine foot is a good general rod length. Shorter rods work better on brushy streams.

Comment

get a 9 foot 5wt (for trout) (8 wt for largemouth) and yes, an Albright is great rod, as is cabelas gear.
          Orvis has a setup chart, involving 4 price levles, cheap, middle end, high end, build you're own.

If you need any help, E-mail me at [email protected]

I sell flys so if you need help talk to me.

Comment

I agree with above. A 9 ft rod in 5-6 weight is a good general purpose rod. They make fast, med and slow action rods. Fast means it bends more at the tip and slow means it will bend down towards the handle. I prefer a fast rod but a slower rod will help protect delicate tippets. I suggest buying a rod at the store as opposed through a catalog. You have to like the feel, the action and the handle prior to dropping big bucks. I have more rods than I can count and regret buying the cheapers one because all they do now is lay aroung my shop. I wish I had went the extra mile years ago and purchased high end and in the long run would have saved money.

Purchasing a rod at a local fly shop will pay big dividends in the long run. You not only buy a rod but years of good advice.

There are a lot of good reels on the market. Depending on the type of fishing you do will depend on the reel. The Orvis Battenkill is a decent reel and has a good drag system and not priced out of this world. Ross makes a good reel also.

Good luck with your fly fishing.

Comment

I agree with Alex on the rods and i really like the Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor reel. It is a great balance between traditional and large arbor reels. It will only set you back $120

Comment

I really appreciate the answers I received. Here, it is stream, small river fishing for trout.
                But, is it the reel or the rod that is most important to start out flyfishing?

Comment

Rod.

Comment

i would have to agree the orvis battenkill mid arbor reel and they are dependable and not to bad on price look into it

Comment

Rod, reels arn't really needed to be nice unless going for a fish that will pull a lot of drag.

Comment

Jim- for small river, stream trout fishing i go with a 3 or 4 wt. 8 or 8 1/2' rod, nothing bigger. reels aren't as crucial. something with adequate drag. i don't think you need a large arbor in the situation you describe. i'm a temple fork rod fan (not a paid endorsement), so you might look at them.

Comment

9'5wt for rivers and large streams, and 8'4wts for smaller stuff.

Comment

if you want a decent setup, an 8 foot to 9 foot rod in a 5/6 wt would be ideal, and for the reel, you have many choices. I recommend for top of the line, a Hardy Perfect size 2, or an Orvis CFO II, but for starters, the Pflueger 1594RC (Rim Control) would be perfect.

Comment

A 9 ft rod in 5-6 weight is a good general purpose rod!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad