Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any recommendations on a rifle scope? I am looking to make shots out to 1,000 yards. Cheaper is better though I understand good gear is not always cheap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any recommendations on a rifle scope? I am looking to make shots out to 1,000 yards. Cheaper is better though I understand good gear is not always cheap.

Any recommendations on a rifle scope? I am looking to make shots out to 1,000 yards. Cheaper is better though I understand good gear is not always cheap.

Target or other? What caliber?

Comment

I would look at no lesser scope than Vortex.
      I'd be more inclined to go Leupold or Zeiss.
      There is also Nightforce, Swarovski and Unertle, but you better dig DEEP in your pocket.
      Leatherwood is another dandy scope for that sort of thing.
      From a shooter who thinks 300 yards is stretching it! LOL!

Comment

Try E-bay 16~X unertl Old Fix power and on the Cheap side.

Comment

I gotta ask!
          Are you wanting to target shoot to 1K yards or make shots at game at 1K yards?
          ...and you do know than not everybody is cut out to be a 1,000 yard marksman! Right?

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
            I gotta ask!
            ...and you do know than not everybody is cut out to be a 1,000 yard marksman! Right?
            I am target shooting to 1k

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
              Target or other? What caliber?
              Both and .308

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                I gotta ask!
                Then best of luck in your endeavors!

Comment

I like Leupold scopes. I also own a couple Nikon scopes on my Remington 870 pump shotgun and one on my Encore muzzleloader.

Valdez shown below, made thousand yard shots without a scope.
                  LOL
                  Attached Files

Comment

You will need something in the 14x to 16x power with a 50 mm objective with a side focus/parallax adjustment capability else you won't be in the same zip code at 1000 yards. That doesn't sound cheap to me.

Comment

You can't make shots at that range with any cheap scope on the market. They just have too much parallax and most have insufficient clarity to see where you are aiming. That is really a LONG ways for most scopes. The least expensive 1000 yard scope I've found that will "make shots" (given you have a .2 MOA or better rifle) is the Leupold VX3 6.5-20x50. You can find them for $800 with target turret and fine cross hair or even varmint reticle. It is clear enough to see your fine cross hair in the middle of a 3" dot at 1000 yards and parallax is low enough that your bullet will hit where the cross hair was at the time of the shot within the capability of your rifle. If you could hold .2 MOA all the way, you could shoot 2" groups with that Leupold but atmospheric variables could triple the size of your groups. A NightForce will be even better or a U.S. Optics but they will come in around $2000.

If you go with less scope at that range, you might just as well forget the scope, close your eyes and shoot. You will have over a second to open your eyes to see where the bullet hit. You might "make a shot" one out of 20 shots. The things I look for are low parallax (determined by accuracy testing), high magnification and clarity so you can see where you are aiming. Please remember that scopes look alike on the outside but it is what's inside that counts.

Comment

Since you are using a .308, I thought I'd mmention... the .308 will be OK at 1000 yards for targets but it doesn't have enough energy at 1000 yards to hunt. Of course it would likely still hurt a deer severely at that range but it is not considered an effective deer rifle beyond about 400 yards. I know the U.S. military still uses it as a short range sniper cartridge but please remember a cripple to them is better than a kill because it also takes out a second combatant. We don't hunt to cripple deer.

RE Vortex: I like Vortex scopes for hunting and LOVE the company behind them and their warranty. However, you will have to go to the Vortex Razor for the clarity and accuracy you need at 1000 yards. You will be in the price range of the NightForce or U.S. Optics if you use that and I would still give them the edge at 1000 yards although I have not tested the Razor myself. I've tried the best Vortex Viper (PST-FFP) you can get at 1000 yards though and group sizes are about double those of the Leupold VX3. Visibility was certainly a factor with this scope since I can't see a 3" dot at 1000 yards but some parallax showed up even at 100 yards with .3 larger group sizes at that range. For .308 hunting, a 3.5-10x or a 4.5-14 Leupold is great. Get the 6.5-20 Leupold or better if you want to shoot 1000 targets because you need magnification at that range. Remember that any magnification over 24X brings you the risk of mirage damage at 1000 yards so such magnifications are purely target shooting only and even then are considered a risk by many long range target shooters.

Comment

Since you are using a .308, I thought I'd mmention... the .308 will be OK at 1000 yards for targets but it doesn't have enough energy at 1000 yards to hunt. Of course it would likely still hurt a deer severely at that range but it is not considered an effective deer rifle beyond about 400 yards. I know the U.S. military still uses it as a short range sniper cartridge but please remember a cripple to them is better than a kill because it also takes out a second combatant. We don't hunt to cripple deer.

RE Vortex: I like Vortex scopes for hunting and LOVE the company behind them and their warranty. However, you will have to go to the Vortex Razor for the clarity and accuracy you need at 1000 yards. You will be in the price range of the NightForce or U.S. Optics if you use that and I would still give them the edge at 1000 yards although I have not tested the Razor myself. I've tried the best Vortex Viper (PST-FFP) you can get at 1000 yards though and group sizes are about double those of the Leupold VX3. Visibility was certainly a factor with this scope since I can't see a 3" dot at 1000 yards but some parallax showed up even at 100 yards with .3 larger group sizes at that range. For .308 hunting, a 3.5-10x or a 4.5-14 Leupold is great. Get the 6.5-20 Leupold or better if you want to shoot 1000 targets because you need magnification at that range. Remember that any magnification over 24X brings you the risk of mirage damage at 1000 yards so such magnifications are purely target shooting only and even then are considered a risk by many long range target shooters.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                            by labrador12
                            You're basing that statement on Hutchinson's lies and the Selected Committees brilliant job in presenting the narrative? Hardy Har Har!!! Only in a world...
                            Today, 07:46 PM
                          • Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                            by FirstBubba
                            Number 1 - the committee was SUPPOSED to be composed of 8 (D)'s and 5 (R)'s.
                            Pelosi rejected three of the (R) members and filled the spots with...
                            06-11-2022, 08:51 AM
                          • Reply to Just Right
                            by franchi20
                            Am I one of the idiots? The manufacturer can't make enough ammo for the current market, but they can introduce a new caliber and the gun to use it and...
                            Today, 06:49 PM
                          • Just Right
                            by jhjimbo
                            Has anyone tried the new .31 cal, 30Super Carry. just what the name implies the quintessential between the .30 and the infamous 9mmLuger. Two years...
                            06-28-2022, 04:59 PM
                          • Reply to Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                            by 99explorer
                            Trump may be in jail for so long that they name the jail after him.
                            Today, 06:21 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X