Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody have any experiance with SWFA scopes? What are your thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody have any experiance with SWFA scopes? What are your thoughts?

Does anybody have any experiance with SWFA scopes? What are your thoughts?

I had an unpleasant experience.

At the time they were listed as an online retailer of the short live Pentax GameSeeker 3. So around early-mid 2012

Just to preface, it wasn't a tremendously popular scope so it wasn't always easy to come by either. I placed my order and paid up front. It took them a month to tell me that they never shipped it and wouldn't be able to. Then another month to get my money back. They said that they didn't take my money until the shipped the order but I produced a bank statement that showed otherwise.

I didn't care for that and have never shopped there again. Took my business to B&H Optics excellent and responsive customer service.

Comment

Stick with a name brand from a store with good CS in case you need it. You will Laugh but my favorite squirrel scope is a Tasco World Class 4X. Lets so much light through I sometimes have to wear sun glasses. The X hairs follow the adjustments. I have it on a JC Higgins bolt action .22lr and most all of my shots are head shots. I usually take 7 shots to get 6 squirrels. Sometimes to slow things down I take my Browning Challenger hand gun .22lr with iron sights. Might take me 10 or 12 shots to get 6 squirrels.
      Good luck.

Comment

sgs
        Cheap scopes go on .22 rifles.
        A real neat deal is finding an old El Paso K4 Weaver. They can be had for about $20 and are tremendous scopes for the money.
        Best part is, if it craters, box it up with a money order for $95 and ship it to Iron Site in Tulsa, Okla. About a year later, you'll have a brand spanking new rebuilt scope that will last another 50 years and is more accurate and more rugged than anything else you can get for $95!

Comment

Depends on how you intend to use it. They are catering to the long range tactical market with their scopes. For hunting applications, the SWFA scopes seem quite heavy to me since they are 30mm tubes. If you are deer hunting within 400 yards you will find great scopes for under $500.

I have not used them because I have had such great results in long range shooting with Leupold and NightForce scopes for comparable money. Leupold has an exceptional warranty and I'd highly recommend the VX3 line if you are interested in long range accuracy. Mine has shot 3.5" five shot groups at 1000 yards and few scopes on the market are capable of that accuracy for under $2000. The NightForce might be just a smidge more accurate. I like the reticles available on the SWFA and NightForce for long range hunting but haven't shot the SWFA so I can't comment on its accuracy. I doubt that it will be more accurate than the ones I use but there is a pretty good chance it will be LESS accurate. I'm not sure of their warranty either. If they will give you your money back if you don't like it or if it fails any time during your life and the warranty is transferable, there isn't much risk in trying. Leupold and Vortex do that. NightForce's warranty is not as good but their scopes sure are.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
            Stick with a name brand from a store with good CS in case you need it. You will Laugh but my favorite squirrel scope is a Tasco World Class 4X. Lets so much light through I sometimes have to wear sun glasses. The X hairs follow the adjustments. I have it on a JC Higgins bolt action .22lr and most all of my shots are head shots. I usually take 7 shots to get 6 squirrels. Sometimes to slow things down I take my Browning Challenger hand gun .22lr with iron sights. Might take me 10 or 12 shots to get 6 squirrels.
            Good luck.
            Old Timer it's all about getting out having fun wacking tree rats. Lol

Comment

I had good success with Redfield & Bushnell, Rule of thumb your Scope should cost 1/2 the price of the Gun
              That was 1970 Thinking! But you could buy a New Winchester Mod 70, or Rem Mod 700 for just under $200.00

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                Good luck.
                If it was not for automobiles and squirrel hunters the Country would be overrun with them. I do my part.

Comment

Found this.

http://www.snipercentral.com/swfa-ss-10x42mm-tactical-rifle-scope/

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                    Found this.

http://www.snipercentral.com/swfa-ss-10x42mm-tactical-rifle-scope/
                    Thanks Bubba. Interesting read. This article reviews a fixed 10x scope which is a terrible magnification for hunting (too much magnification) and pretty useless for target shooting (too little magnification). It is at its best in military applications shooting humans out to 500 yards. Of course they do make variable magnification scopes but those weren't tested and are typically where accuracy and clarity issues are experienced.

I might also note that the turrets do not lock. With these large knobs and tall tactical turret design, they are almost guaranteed to rotate as you carry your rifle on your shoulder or as you carry your rifle balanced in one hand. If the OP is looking for an inexpensive scope with good all around tactical features, I suggest the Millet Buck Gold if your cost target is below $500 (costs about $220). Mine shoots up to .3 MOA at 100 yards and I use it to shoot p-dogs out to 500 yards (2" groups) just fine. It shoots 6" groups at 1000 yards while a comparable Leupold VX3 shoots 3.5" but for under $500 it is hard to beat. You won't knock the zero off carrying it around either.

I also use the Bushnell Elite Tactical for 750 yard p-dog shooting (cost around $750). It is very accurate (up to .2 MOA at 100 yards) and very clear but it does not have the lockable turrets. Last year, I missed a nice 750 yard fox shot because I accidentally rotated my windage turret when I picked up the rifle out of the truck. In the deep snow I couldn't see where my bullet was hitting. By the time I was able to check the turret for two clicks of zero movement, the fox was gone. All these scopes have nice mil-dot reticles. I used the Bushnell Elite to nail an antelope in the heart at 500 yards two years ago (I checked for zero before the shot on this one) with my 25-06 Rem 700 Sendero. I would highly recommend either of these two scopes as they work well. My ultimate accuracy tactical scope is a Leupold VX3 with varmint reticle and target turrets. Its accuracy is phenomenal, shooting up to .1 MOA at 100 yards. These three scopes are great for the money and of course you get more accuracy the more you pay but even the Millet accuracy is good enough for 500 yard p-dog work.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
                      I had good success with Redfield & Bushnell, Rule of thumb your Scope should cost 1/2 the price of the Gun
                      That was 1970 Thinking! But you could buy a New Winchester Mod 70, or Rem Mod 700 for just under $200.00
                      Times have changed Tree. Upon reflection, my deer/elk scopes are costing about as much as the rifle. Myt varmint shooting and very long range shooting scopes are running about double what the rifle costs. This premium level is more for exceptional ccuracy.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad