Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you use to waterproof leather hunting boots, mink oil or silicon spray on waterproofing? Is there something better than those two options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you use to waterproof leather hunting boots, mink oil or silicon spray on waterproofing? Is there something better than those two options?

What would you use to waterproof leather hunting boots, mink oil or silicon spray on waterproofing? Is there something better than those two options?

ozark
    Best I've EVER been able to accomplish is to make leather water "resistant"!
    Between beeswax, lanolin and mink oil, I got a pair to be waterproof....for a couple of hours! Then my feet were soaked!
    I think rubber, or some modern equivalent, is the only hope to stay dry.
    Good luck!

Comment

I use http://www.obenaufs.com products and like them quite well but I'm sure there are better products out there. I'll be interested to see others responses.

Comment

ozarkghost, I found this article at Outdoor Life and hopefully will help you my friend.
        http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/hunting/2014/03/best-and-cheapest-way-waterproof-boots
        Attached Files

Comment

I use SnoSeal
          http://www.atsko.com/sno-seal-wax-8-oz-jar/

Works well if you follow the directions, though I reapply every year. One can can last for years.

You know what's weird? I've had some leather and goretex boots that claimed they were waterproof, and were for a time. Then I guess the goretex started to break down. Water started to get in; and I used that and it helped a lot. Still they never blocked the water as well as when they were new.
          Attached Files

Comment

Warm them up in the direct sunlight or low temp oven before applying anything and the leather takes the coating better.

Comment

I use Limmer grease, by the Limmer boot company in NH. It's essentially like snowseal, but with oils that keep the leather hydrated and supple. I really like it. I rub it in, then set the boots by the fire to drive it in deep. Afterwards I rub it again to make sure there's a film on the outside. Works well and smells good!
              It looked like someone mentioned gore-tex. My understanding is that you should not put waterproofing on any boot that has gore-tex. It will keep the boot from being able to breathe, which is the whole point of gore tex.

Comment

I am another sno-seal fan. Works beautifully for me.

Comment

As a Kid on the Farm we used Hot Bacon fat mixed with old motor oil HAHAHA long before SNO-SEAL.

SNO~SEAL is the only way to go.

Comment

I am a big fan of mink oil, and I have used silicon spray on a couple of items before.
                    Both work okay but neither have made anything of mine anything more than water resistant.
                    Sno-Seal seems like it works well, I think any wax or oil dressing is going to have downfalls because there are usually small holes in leather boots for water to get through and the layer dressing has really be pretty close to perfect to protect your foot.
                    Everything I have used doesn't seem to penetrate and have any lasting effect.
                    It'll keep the dew off and keep you dry if you dip into the occasional puddle but will not make your boots waterproof.
                    I have only found true waterproof boots in rubber.

Comment

Sno-Seal works for me as well. But like Tay-Hawk said, sometimes with leather the thread and stitching is not tight after you have worn the boots for awhile and its tough to fully waterproof them.

Comment

Sno-Seal. Works a lot better if you first saddle soap the boots clean, thoroughly dry them, and then apply the Sno-Seal by hand and melt it in with a hair dryer. My 13 year old Irish Setters keep my feet dry in rain, snow and all the water around the skinning rack.

Comment

If they are non gore tex boots my vote goes to Sno-Seal as well. If they are gore tex boots use a leather conditioner that still alows them to breath. There are several brands out there, but I like the Cabela's brand the best. If you use sno-seal on gore tex boots it will not allow the moisture created by your feet sweating to escape which will defeat the purpose of a breathable waterproof liner.

Comment

I am surprised nobody mentioned Neetsfoot oil. I use a little of it as it does help keep the leather from drying out. Don't use too much on boots that you need max support from as it does keep the leather pliable.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad