Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which would be a better idea; buying a new ATV for about 5-6k or buying a used four person UTV for about that much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which would be a better idea; buying a new ATV for about 5-6k or buying a used four person UTV for about that much?

Which would be a better idea; buying a new ATV for about 5-6k or buying a used four person UTV for about that much?

When I hunted Colorado elk in Oak Creek, the Guide Harley Peters took me in to my tree stand by ATV. It sure beat walking and the stand was pretty deep in the woods.

For all the guys who can't afford an ATV, you can buy a Cabelas game cart for $180 with a seven hundred pound weight limit. This photo below shows four hunters with a bull elk on flat ground.
    These guys have a rope holding the back of the cart so it doesn't get away and crash downhill.
    Smart Move!

Attached Files

Comment

I guess it all depends on what you plan on using it for. Are you going to be going trail riding with friends? Or will it be used more for yard work/hunting? For me personally, I'd go with the UTV.

Comment

If it is only you, get a ATV. If with others on regular basis a side by side works.
        You should not ride double on ATV's not designed for it - it throws the balance and handling way off.

Comment

I like ATVs Your Not a Woods Taxi,You can Ride the open Trails having FUN & Pimp-it out! With a UTV-JMO~ You become a Take-me here....Take-me there & Harder to Transport for Trail Riding? It's Your Money!!

Comment

Jeezus! They want that much for those things? Hell, my Jimmy only cost me four grand and I get to use it all the time, off road or down to the grocery store, rain or shine. And it carries my dogs, guns, decoys, canoe, luggage, and on very rare occasions my hunting/fishing partner. Has enough room to lay down in back with the dogs ... or my late spouse whenever we needed to warm up in a hurry. Maybe not as small as an ATV but it sure has a lot more utility value.

Comment

I usually don't ride my game-spooking ATV into my hunting spots, but I can't tell you how many times a couple of four wheelers have saved the day dragging out deer and elk from some tough spots. I'll stick with the ATV, no use for UTV. I use my ATV to do all sorts of chores around the property where I can't or won't drive a truck or large tractor.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
                When I hunted Colorado elk in Oak Creek, the Guide Harley Peters took me in to my tree stand by ATV. It sure beat walking and the stand was pretty deep in the woods.

For all the guys who can't afford an ATV, you can buy a Cabelas game cart for $180 with a seven hundred pound weight limit. This photo below shows four hunters with a bull elk on flat ground.
                These guys have a rope holding the back of the cart so it doesn't get away and crash downhill.
                Smart Move!
                That critter is obviously only half on the cart. It's not going anywhere like that! And what would they anchor the rope to anyway, a piece of grass? Pffft! I suspect the rope is actually tied to the elk ... and a truck or ATV. The cart thing is just for show. What it shows me is how dumb these guys are. Clearly, that bull could not be moved in EITHER direction like that! Going "downhill" his horns are digging into the turf, going uphill (or rather towards the camera ... not much of a hill on that plateau) his ass and hind legs are digging into the ground, not to mention hair pushed the wrong way. Also, the bull's drivers side front leg is clearly resting on one wheel. Won't move very well like that! This image clearly shows the utility value of these cart things for elk hunting ... zero! What a bunch of know-nothing nimrods. Look at all the bright blue attire. Just as well wear a neon sign. Anyone who knows anything knows big game animals see blue MUCH better than we do. And even with my relatively poor blue color perception I wouldn't have much trouble spotting them a half mile away. I strongly suspect this was a private land canned hunt.

Comment

Smart Move!
                  Does anybody want a sharp knife?

Comment

I've never really understood the appeal of UTV's. For equal cost, I think you could get a used Jeep Wrangler with WAY more utility. I guess the UTV is allowed on some lands/trails that the Jeep isn't, and the UTV is lighter. But I'd buy a jeep way before a UTV.
                    (I guess I kind of agree with OH in that regard... On road, off road, freeway speeds, towing boats/trailers, daily driver...)

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
                      Jeezus! They want that much for those things? Hell, my Jimmy only cost me four grand and I get to use it all the time, off road or down to the grocery store, rain or shine. And it carries my dogs, guns, decoys, canoe, luggage, and on very rare occasions my hunting/fishing partner. Has enough room to lay down in back with the dogs ... or my late spouse whenever we needed to warm up in a hurry. Maybe not as small as an ATV but it sure has a lot more utility value.
                      And the price of parts for those things ... ouch! My brother was telling me how much a drive-axel cost for his. Of course, nothing beats the maintenance cost of a boat/motor and trailer. Bend over! That's why I'm preferring a Kevlar canoe these days. A little pricey to start with but it'll last a lifetime, take lots of abuse, and maintenance is almost nil. It keeps me healthy to boot. A winner in every aspect.

Comment

Smart Move!
                        If these boys are hunting in Colorado, 3 of them are not legal. CO regs require blaze/hunter orange that includes a hunter orange hat visible from 360 degrees in addition to the vest or jacket or shirt, etc. worn as outer garment. Fun time is over....

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad