Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best way you have found to keep your feet warm while hunting from a tree stand? My brother can barely stay in a stand for more than a few hours when the temps drop to the teens and single digits. I'm looking for something cheaper than the

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
    By the way, this is just a follow up from my earlier post.

Sixteen reasons why I love my Muck Boot, the Woody Elite;

1. 100 % Waterproof.

2. Full Camouflage.

3. Very warm.

4. Fleece lining.

5. Comfortable.

6. Will keep you dry.

7. Antimicrobial treatments and scent masking will make sure your target doesn't know your coming.

8. Stretch-fit top line binding snugs calf to keep warmth in and cold out.

9. Anti-microbial treatment prevents growth of odor causing bacteria.

10. lightweight and flexible.

11. Additional Achilles overlay for added protection.

12. EVA molded midsole with contoured footbed.

13. Reinforced toe.

14. MS-1 molded outsole is rugged, aggressive and durable for maximum protection and stability.

15. Temperature range minus 40.

16. Their boot sizes go up to 15. I wear a 14, and most boot brands stop at 13.
    I where a cotton sock underneath. You don't need a wool sock for this boot.
    Good Luck!

Comment

Last year I got to go to South Dakota on a late December pheasant/archery deer hunt. The weather was brutally cold. I bought the over booties that jhjimbo mentioned. They worked great in the stand. Packed them in and put them on when I got in the stand. The last day of the hunt my truck thermometer had -14 on it when I got back to the truck. It was as cold as this Alabama boy had ever seen but my feet were nice and warm. Mine zipped up in the back. No velcro.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
        I have found that high-top lace-on boots tend to keep your feet much warmer than low-top hiking boots.
        Perhaps they trap the heat that would be lost at the calf.
        Thanks 99.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
          ok guy, I hunt in northern mi so I know your pain.

Here are some things to try:
          1) Chemical warmer foot pad inserts
          2) Overboot stand booties
          3) A separate seat pad to keep your feet and boots insulated from the metal of the treestand
          4) A wind break / treestand blind to break the wind will help
          5) some ski gear is very good at this, but can be expensive.

and my number one secret and semi dangerous method to keep warm:
          I light a can of sterno up in the tree and keep my feet and hands warm over it.
          When I used get to my treestand, I would take off my boots and just wear thick wool socks or moccasins, and I tried to experiment with hanging a little rig at various heights from the grate. too high you get burned or melt stuff. Too Low and you don't feel a thing and your feet keep on getting colder and colder,
          I hope you carry a fire extinguisher.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
            ok guy, I hunt in northern mi so I know your pain.

Here are some things to try:
            1) Chemical warmer foot pad inserts
            2) Overboot stand booties
            3) A separate seat pad to keep your feet and boots insulated from the metal of the treestand
            4) A wind break / treestand blind to break the wind will help
            5) some ski gear is very good at this, but can be expensive.

and my number one secret and semi dangerous method to keep warm:
            I light a can of sterno up in the tree and keep my feet and hands warm over it.
            When I used get to my treestand, I would take off my boots and just wear thick wool socks or moccasins, and I tried to experiment with hanging a little rig at various heights from the grate. too high you get burned or melt stuff. Too Low and you don't feel a thing and your feet keep on getting colder and colder,
            Haven't needed one yet, real wool and leather are remarkably flame retardant. Synthetic stuff seems to melt pretty good though lol.

Comment

Originally posted by jonkmitta97 View Post
              try toe warmers. you can get them at Walmart. They keep your toes and feet warm for like 6-8 hours
              have him carry a few extra pairs of socks into the woods. Real wool or advanced synthetics that wick water away are essential, but if his feet get sweaty anyway he needs to bite the bullet, take his bare feet out and change into dry socks and make sure his boots are dry.

Comment

I use layers of socks, primarily wool when it gets really cold. Also, if you have any extra room in your shoe/boot, but some cheap hand warmers in there. They work like a charm.

Comment

By the way, this is just a follow up from my earlier post.

Sixteen reasons why I love my Muck Boot, the Woody Elite;

1. 100 % Waterproof.

2. Full Camouflage.

3. Very warm.

4. Fleece lining.

5. Comfortable.

6. Will keep you dry.

7. Antimicrobial treatments and scent masking will make sure your target doesn't know your coming.

8. Stretch-fit top line binding snugs calf to keep warmth in and cold out.

9. Anti-microbial treatment prevents growth of odor causing bacteria.

10. lightweight and flexible.

11. Additional Achilles overlay for added protection.

12. EVA molded midsole with contoured footbed.

13. Reinforced toe.

14. MS-1 molded outsole is rugged, aggressive and durable for maximum protection and stability.

15. Temperature range minus 40.

16. Their boot sizes go up to 15. I wear a 14, and most boot brands stop at 13.
                  I tried on a pair of Muck based on your earlier testimonial. They were $169. The problem was, I could not get my pants over the top of them or stuff the pants inside the boot. The other was getting them off. I could not and the clerk could just manage to get them off. I could never have done that without help.

Comment

I have fought this battle since high school. Generally your feet get cold because of moisture not because the boot is actually cold. I have done this for 2 seasons and have not left my stand because of cold feet yet. When it is in the single digits and teens I still stay very comfortable. You can buy hot hands brand toe warmers 2 pair for 1.99. You need a good pair of socks and possibly light weight moisture wicking socks. Dress socks will work too. When you get to your stand simply change your socks. You won't realize walking in that the little bit of foot moisture has got you cold because your circulatory system is pumping blood through your feet very quickly. it takes an hour or so for your temperature to cool off and then the moisture is what gives your toes the chills. When you get to your stand take your boots off and put on a dry pair of socks. Put the hot hands to warmers on above your toes. It will take 15-20 minutes for the toe warmers to heat up but by then your body will have cooled off and you will stay comfy until you get up and start walking around again. the dress socks or moisture wicking socks will pull moisture away from the foot which will help. The only problem is odor. You obviously wouldn't want to do this if you are hunting in unfavorable wind, but I try and make a point of always hunting a stand with the correct wind. You can get insulated socks, wicking socks and hot hands for 10 hunts for less than $25

Comment

Originally posted by SCBuilder66 View Post
                      I have fought this battle since high school. Generally your feet get cold because of moisture not because the boot is actually cold. I have done this for 2 seasons and have not left my stand because of cold feet yet. When it is in the single digits and teens I still stay very comfortable. You can buy hot hands brand toe warmers 2 pair for 1.99. You need a good pair of socks and possibly light weight moisture wicking socks. Dress socks will work too. When you get to your stand simply change your socks. You won't realize walking in that the little bit of foot moisture has got you cold because your circulatory system is pumping blood through your feet very quickly. it takes an hour or so for your temperature to cool off and then the moisture is what gives your toes the chills. When you get to your stand take your boots off and put on a dry pair of socks. Put the hot hands to warmers on above your toes. It will take 15-20 minutes for the toe warmers to heat up but by then your body will have cooled off and you will stay comfy until you get up and start walking around again. the dress socks or moisture wicking socks will pull moisture away from the foot which will help. The only problem is odor. You obviously wouldn't want to do this if you are hunting in unfavorable wind, but I try and make a point of always hunting a stand with the correct wind. You can get insulated socks, wicking socks and hot hands for 10 hunts for less than $25
                      This is actually exactly what I do too. This does not work for my brother though. We use the same boots, socks, and toe warmers and my feet are warm and his are not. For some reason his feet just always get really cold doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                        I use ArticShield over boot booties. The go on after you get in your stand - not made for walking in them. They do an amazing job at keeping your feet warm. Mine use velcro which is a little noisy but I think they have changed to something else. They were around $40 some years ago.
                        I have electric socks but have not used them. People have told me they work good. Batteries last all day.
                        I have seen a number of people mention these and have never heard anyone say anything bad about them so I did some research and I think we are going to try these. They are even on sale right now for $30 at BassProShops. Thanks for the responses.

Comment

My feet are always cold. I bought every brand out there. My New Jersey bear hunting friend said his feet were warm during the 2010 December bear hunt. It was freezing cold with high winds. My feet were like two giant ice cubes. LOL
                          He told me to get a pair of Muck boots.
                          I bought the "Woody Elite" Muck boots at the Harrisburg, Pennsylvania Sportsmen show two months later and my feet are no longer cold. I hunted below zero temperatures with them in Saskatchewan, Canada.
                          Check out the Muck Boot link below.

http://www.muckbootcompany.com/category/mens-hunting?gclid=CNOp8Y3ShsICFW8V7AodDwQAHQ
                          This is a little more than we wanted to spend. I'm sure they work pretty well but if we were going to spend that much we would just get those ThermaCell heated insoles.

Comment

I love my thermal boots and heavy wool socks. No cold feet for me.

Comment

Has your brother been tested for diabetes? Please consider doing that.

Comment

I got some insoles from BB&B. Cant say how good they are......were cheap. Have not worn when very cold. But did see an improvement in feel when hunting at or just below freezing.

My feet would feel cool in my boots and slowly get cooler to cold. Worn two days in gun....arrived at stand w feet not cool. Just a positive offset to the start of the foot comfort decline. See how they do late bow

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad