Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best way you have found to keep your feet warm while hunting from a tree stand? My brother can barely stay in a stand for more than a few hours when the temps drop to the teens and single digits. I'm looking for something cheaper than the

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best way you have found to keep your feet warm while hunting from a tree stand? My brother can barely stay in a stand for more than a few hours when the temps drop to the teens and single digits. I'm looking for something cheaper than the

What is the best way you have found to keep your feet warm while hunting from a tree stand? My brother can barely stay in a stand for more than a few hours when the temps drop to the teens and single digits. I'm looking for something cheaper than the ThermaCell Insoles. He has tried many different kinds of socks and boots but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions?

I have found that high-top lace-on boots tend to keep your feet much warmer than low-top hiking boots.
    Perhaps they trap the heat that would be lost at the calf.

Comment

I have the same problem as your brother. I am hoping somebody has a great suggestion that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
        I have found that high-top lace-on boots tend to keep your feet much warmer than low-top hiking boots.
        Are you referring to boots that come up to just under the knee? Or just regular work boots that come up to mid-calf?

Comment

I use ArticShield over boot booties. The go on after you get in your stand - not made for walking in them. They do an amazing job at keeping your feet warm. Mine use velcro which is a little noisy but I think they have changed to something else. They were around $40 some years ago.
          I have electric socks but have not used them. People have told me they work good. Batteries last all day.

Comment

I mean at least 14" not including the height of the heel.

Comment

Seeing as how we hunt in MN and often have quite a bit of snow, we always use high boots.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                I use ArticShield over boot booties. The go on after you get in your stand - not made for walking in them. They do an amazing job at keeping your feet warm. Mine use velcro which is a little noisy but I think they have changed to something else. They were around $40 some years ago.
                I have electric socks but have not used them. People have told me they work good. Batteries last all day.
                I have these too. Work great. Mine have a zipper and elastic band. Could even toss in a hand warmer to keep them extra toasty.

Comment

try toe warmers. you can get them at Walmart. They keep your toes and feet warm for like 6-8 hours

Comment

Originally posted by jonkmitta97 View Post
                    try toe warmers. you can get them at Walmart. They keep your toes and feet warm for like 6-8 hours
                    We have tried toe warmers and they work well for everyone except my brother. I think the problem with those for him is that his feet sweat with them which then causes them to stop working and his feet then freeze because they are wet.

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Battery-Heated-Shoe-Insoles-Warmer-Electric-Feet-Heater-Boot-Sock-Glove-Foot-/281499864661

try these my uncle had the same problem with sweaty feet until he had these

Comment

I'll read some reviews on these and research them a little. They seem like a good thing to try. Thanks.

Comment

ok guy, I hunt in northern mi so I know your pain.

Here are some things to try:
                          1) Chemical warmer foot pad inserts
                          2) Overboot stand booties
                          3) A separate seat pad to keep your feet and boots insulated from the metal of the treestand
                          4) A wind break / treestand blind to break the wind will help
                          5) some ski gear is very good at this, but can be expensive.

and my number one secret and semi dangerous method to keep warm:
                          I light a can of sterno up in the tree and keep my feet and hands warm over it.
                          When I used get to my treestand, I would take off my boots and just wear thick wool socks or moccasins, and I tried to experiment with hanging a little rig at various heights from the grate. too high you get burned or melt stuff. Too Low and you don't feel a thing and your feet keep on getting colder and colder,

Comment

My feet are always cold. I bought every brand out there. My New Jersey bear hunting friend said his feet were warm during the 2010 December bear hunt. It was freezing cold with high winds. My feet were like two giant ice cubes. LOL
                            He told me to get a pair of Muck boots.
                            I bought the "Woody Elite" Muck boots at the Harrisburg, Pennsylvania Sportsmen show two months later and my feet are no longer cold. I hunted below zero temperatures with them in Saskatchewan, Canada.
                            Check out the Muck Boot link below.

http://www.muckbootcompany.com/category/mens-hunting?gclid=CNOp8Y3ShsICFW8V7AodDwQAHQ

Comment

By the way, this is just a follow up from my earlier post.

Sixteen reasons why I love my Muck Boot, the Woody Elite;

1. 100 % Waterproof.

2. Full Camouflage.

3. Very warm.

4. Fleece lining.

5. Comfortable.

6. Will keep you dry.

7. Antimicrobial treatments and scent masking will make sure your target doesn't know your coming.

8. Stretch-fit top line binding snugs calf to keep warmth in and cold out.

9. Anti-microbial treatment prevents growth of odor causing bacteria.

10. lightweight and flexible.

11. Additional Achilles overlay for added protection.

12. EVA molded midsole with contoured footbed.

13. Reinforced toe.

14. MS-1 molded outsole is rugged, aggressive and durable for maximum protection and stability.

15. Temperature range minus 40.

16. Their boot sizes go up to 15. I wear a 14, and most boot brands stop at 13.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Season ends
                                by Amflyer
                                Got-dammit Mtnhunter, that's not news I'm keen to hear. Keep at it man, and have a blessed Christmas. Slàinte Mhath, and RTR!...
                                Yesterday, 11:57 PM
                              • Season ends
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                On my way home ... finally. Headed to West Side (Montana) for Thanksgiving with my brothers but a very nasty blizzard delayed me till Saturday. After...
                                Yesterday, 12:41 AM
                              • Reply to End of an era
                                by Milldawg
                                Dew man guy who owns the land a farm of his wants the spot so I’m out. All of this started since there is monster running around out there....
                                Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                              • End of an era
                                by Milldawg
                                Well lost my hunting spot of 7 years last Saturday. So now I’m joining the lease crowd. Any advice this will be my first year leasing ground next year....
                                Yesterday, 03:35 PM
                              • Reply to Season ends
                                by WA Mtnhunter
                                I’m 70, battling cancer, trying to stay in shape, and still working my dogs. Not going to quit until I can’t get on my feet. I’ve had a good run,...
                                Yesterday, 10:39 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X