Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody have some shooting sticks?

Anybody have some shooting sticks?

I have been seeing a bipod at shceels for 15 dollars. I just havent been able to bring myself to get them, but they seem good, i can shoot from them sitting kneeling and prone, but i dont know, they arent real practical for my style of hunting.

Comment

I use a mono pod for whitetail hunting because I can use it in the deer stand, walking to and from the deer stand and still hunting. I have a bipod for when I'm hunting in open terrain. Bipod's provide a better anchor than a monopod but monopod's are more compact and can be used in tight quarters (such as a deer stand).

Comment

I've used "stick's" when I was a guide in Colo.
        Amazing how bad some of my "clients" shook when they saw their first elk.

Comment

I bought 5 sets a couple years ago when I was doing a project for work. We used several different styles from mono to tripods. I found the bipods with the swivel tops to be the best. They're not as cheap as I thought they would be.

Comment

I feel it depends on what you are using them for. I tried a mounted bipod once Argali sheep hunting in Mongolia, and found it to be a royal pain, never again, and never missed it. Tried a longer bipod antelope hunting in Wyoming, found it OK, but no better than sitting. Sticks in Africa are a different story. The PH"s will insist you use them, so practice a lot with them before you go. Any sporting rifle publication will have them for sale for up to a hundred bucks or so. Take down models and zebra covered tops. Much more sensible to get three pieces of PVC, an old bicycle inner tube if you can find one, if not go to the drug store and buy a length of surgical tubing . Look in a hunting magazine or book. and. eyeball the pictures. There will be plenty of experts willing to tell you how to use them.
            This is not rocket science, the main thing is to practice shooting off the sticks, not the bench.

Comment

Forgot to mention, if going to Africa, don't take sticks with you, the trackers will have their own that they are familiar with. It is also one less thing to pack.

Comment

I've used shooting sticks a few times, very steady, but just one more thing to carry. I bought a monopod (like a telescoping hiking or wading staff with a rubber Y on top), but haven't used it much at all, and not once on big game. I might take it for VT mountain tracking and still hunting just to try. Will probably ditch it shortly, though.

Comment

I keep a set in my pack, mostly use them for varmint hunting, prefer them now over harris bipods....

Comment

I've used a Versapod which was ok but I really like the Stony Point bi-pod. There is a base that fastens to your stock forend and you can simply snap the legs on or off for shooting. Also there's no hinge (like with the versapod) the fork is made of flexible rubber which makes it very steady for shooting. They come in two adjustable lengths and cost around 50 bucks at BP or Cabela's.

Comment

My dad has some...work pretty good if you have time to set up for the shot or your in a blind..not so good if you need to fumble around and try to set them up when you only have seconds for a shot

Comment

Agreed with Del in KS and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad