Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm looking to get a kayak to fish out of. There are several out there that are geared towards anglers ... I'm a fairly tall guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking to get a kayak to fish out of. There are several out there that are geared towards anglers ... I'm a fairly tall guy

I'm looking to get a kayak to fish out of. There are several out there that are geared towards anglers ... I'm a fairly tall guy (6'3) and don't know what size to get. Any pointers that would help me with this purchase? I'm looking to do mainly freshwater lake fishing for bass.

I saw one at a Sportsmans Whse. that I liked.
    It was in a "duck boat" layout(place for gun/ammo).
    I can't remember the name of it though. It was made in Lousianna. Sorry I could'nt help more.

Comment

If you are lake fishing for bass I would recommend the open sit on top model. The room in a traditional kayak is a little small for comfort for lake fishing.

Comment

Kayaks are great fishing but they scare the hell out of me, I just know if I flip over I'll drown before I can get out. Just a little phobia in me.

Comment

I have done a good bit of river fishing from a kayak. The open top model as buckhunter stated. I believe it's an Ocean Kayak brand. There is room behind the strap on seat to strap a small 6pack cooler or backpack. I use a wire ties to strap anything i bring down in case i go in the drink. I even bring two rods (Ultralight) so i can throw different lures without retying. You may have to fashion your own rodholder(s). It is my favorite way to float fish for trout. When i find a particularly good spot i can beach, and fish, or paddle back upstream and fish it again if i'm ambitious enough that day.

Comment

I would agree with buckhunter and steve182. I've got an enclosed kayak and it is really hard to fish from. Too hard to get to gear and everything. Still fun though.

Comment

I suggest any dagger kayak (they are very stabble, seeing that your tall) with ro holders

Comment

I agreed with steve182 answer!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How much is too much?
                                by jhjimbo
                                If the friend shot through a tree he must have had a full metal jacket solid. My BIL and I shot at a tree and he went through and my 30-30 penetrated...
                                Today, 10:10 PM
                              • How much is too much?
                                by FirstBubba
                                There is no doubt that a .30-06 Spgfld is more than adequate to actually slay a whitetail.

A lot of newbies come here and ask, "What...
                                Today, 09:40 AM
                              • Reply to More Bad News....
                                by jhjimbo
                                Wishing you get some reassuring news from the Vet. Be with her all you can and keep the faith. Will pray for you all. Jim
                                Today, 10:02 PM
                              • More Bad News....
                                by WA Mtnhunter
                                My 13+ year old Black Lab is still plugging along. Not sure how much or if he will hunt this fall. The real bad news is that my 8-year old Lab, Scout,...
                                07-19-2020, 12:00 PM
                              • Reply to Who are the millions of new gun buyers going to vote for?
                                by FirstBubba
                                The hidden damage the (D)'s are doing will be insurmountable in November!
                                Sen T. Cruz (R-TX) called out Sen M. Hirono (D-HI) to denounce "Antifa"....
                                Today, 09:56 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X