Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My wife has mentioned a couple times she would like to learn how to shoot a bow. She was wanting to try traditional archery just

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My wife has mentioned a couple times she would like to learn how to shoot a bow. She was wanting to try traditional archery just

My wife has mentioned a couple times she would like to learn how to shoot a bow. She was wanting to try traditional archery just to shoot targets not hunting. Who makes decent (and somewhat inexpensive) adult longbows?

JMO~~ Look at some Pawn Shops in your Town or Try
    www.sportsmansguide.com some times they have close-out sales.

Comment

If you have a indoor archery range in your area I would take her there and let her try some various types of bows. Long bows are the hardest to shoot as they have no let off.
      The big box stores carry long bows but they are not cheap. Tree mentioned used and that is a possibility if you can find one in her weight range in good condition.
      I bet if she tried a modern compound at a range she would give up the idea of a long bow. The compound can be adjusted enough to help her get started and learn and then be a major bow to use for target or even possibly hunting as she becomes more proficient.
      Good luck.

Comment

I have been practicing traditional archery for a number of years both for fun and for (fun) competition. I personally much prefer it to compounds and, with today's modern compounds, feel trying to compare the two is comparing apples to oranges (shooting a compound feels more like shooting a rifle to me than a bow).

Unless she is dead set on a long bow, also consider a recurve. Recurves are considered much more forgiving than long bows and tend to be a lot easier to learn and shoot, especially for beginners.

Prices for new traditional bows have really gone up in the last few years. Local archery shops specializing in traditional archery can be a good source for good-condition used bows. I have also picked up a few really good condition vintage bows on ebay for good prices.

Comment

My girlfriend had the same interest. We got her a PSE Razorback for a little over $100 and it has been perfect for her. The biggest thing for me was realizing that she neither needs, nor wants a 60 lb hunting bow. The 35 lb recurve we got her is perfect for shooting targets.

Comment

I agree with Greenhead. A target bow should be very light. 25-35lbs. I own several longbows and my favorite is my cheapest one I own, the Bear Montana Longbow. With a well tuned arrow it will shoot as good as any bow on the market. It is very light (weight) with zero handshock and whisper quiet. My bow is 60lbs but I have no doubt a 35lb bow would be a pleasure to shoot.

For target shooting, the longbow is a much more accurate than the recurve.

Comment

Agree completely with the two previous posters on draw weight. Us guys tend to over-due it on draw weight and our accuracy and fundamentals suffer accordingly.

Comment

How tall is your wife? I am a short person myself and I have found that a recurve fits me better than a long bow. I have a very old Ben Pearson 48" recurve with maybe a 40# pull that I think was intended as a youth beginner's bow. It fits me well and I have fun shooting targets with it.

Comment

solo makes a good long bow that is around 200 dollars and is still well made. the bow comes in weights from 30-55 in 5 pound increments. If you are looking for something cheeper or less weight then the best option is a youth recurve. Most shops have a wooden riser and wood laminate limb model for 150-200 and they usually come with 6 jazz arrows or another relatively in expensive but good arrow, no gloves or a finger tab and a small sight. The brand may be samack, ridge line, fast flight, sako, or a half dozen other names. They are all made by the same two companies out of se asia the only thing that change is the name on them and that is based on who is footing the bill for the bows. they are good quality but if you pick up a 100 dollar bow and a 400 recurve you will see less vibration, smoother draw, better weight distribution and the ability to use better accessories. it all depends on what she really wants to do. As someone who has coached and shot for over a decade all the way up to the olympic trials. I alway find that the best way to get anyone into the sport kid or adult is to take a basic class. after 2-3 classes most people will be able to gauge what route they want to take and it gives them basic form and skills that you will build off of for the rest of the time you shoot.

good luck mike

Comment

longbow- kparchery ebay store sells a bow for any shooter and is priced between 40-65 bucks. I got a 60# longbow for sixty bucks.It's awesome.

recurve-samick sage, about $139 shoots well and is drilled for any application

compound- mildly priced and adjustable for literally any archer.

Comment

Go to cabelas they sell plenty of good long bows for under $150

Comment

Id try out a bunch and test in their range

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad