Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tip of the day: Picking a shotgun sling. See first post.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip of the day: Picking a shotgun sling. See first post.

Tip of the day: Picking a shotgun sling. See first post.

Contrary to popular opinion, I do own a shotgun sling ... and I love it. But I'm ready to toss the thing. It's an Uncle Mike's camo model with non-slip strip on the underside. Mind you, it might be fine for waterfowl hunting when going to and from the blind/fields. However, where a shotgun sling really becomes useful is for upland hunting. But that is where this sling has become a pain. Admittedly most shotgun slings are like this one from Uncle Mike's: foam shoulder cushion encased in waterproof camo plastic and strung on the gun with polypropylene webbing and blued metal sling swivels. Polypropylene is notorious for becoming frayed. Then the webbing grabs every damned burr I walk by. Pheasant jumps and my burr covered sling gets snagged against anything on my coat or pants that's the least big fuzzy. I'm giving up on camo and going back to a good old leather sling. And what's with blued metal swivels on a waterfowl shotgun? Just plain stupid! A real invitation for corrosion. Doesn't matter how much oil I slop on those things, they still get rusty. I'm picking up a pair of Talon stainless detachable swivels for my shotgun this winter. Seems Talon is the only oufit making them. I'm not worried about the stainless metal spooking geese since I always take the sling off once I'm set up to hunt for the day.

Comment

What's the story with neoprene slings? Look comfortable but do they grab burrs too? Do they get soggy?

Comment

I installed a set of Uncle Mike's QD(Quick Detachable) "Plastic" Sling Swivels and U/Mike Camo Sling on a New A-5 Browning Duck Gun. it enable you to remove the Sling on site and reinstall when leaving. Hope this Helps.

Comment

I've switched all my long guns to a 100% rubber sling. the swivels are not steel either. Biggest advantage is that the sling does not slip off you shoulder. Another great advantage is to use the sling to steady the rifle when shooting prone. It has just enough give that you can really lock in the rifle. One of the best purchases I have ever made. You can find them by searching for "ultraflex firearm sling".

Comment

Thanks, Jay. I'd like to check out the Ultraflex sling but their website doesn't work. I believe my buddy in Montana has one of these and it did seem comfortable but I wondered about them in rainy environment? His looked kinda absorbent. His swivels appeared to be metal.

Treestand, I have Uncle Mike's detachable swivels on my goose gun but they are blued metal not plastic. I have searched but can't find anything plastic made by them. Appears to be something plastic by Quake but having difficulty finding them on the net.

Comment

Uncle Mike's and several others make "plastic coated" steel swivels but I think I'd take stainless over something that is essentially painted.

Comment

I've got a neoprene sling and I'm pretty happy with it. It's got a rubber-coated under-side, so it doesn't slip much on my shoulder. I can't really recall many burrs sticking to it, but I don't use it where there are many... It will get a little damp, but I can't recall ever noticing it being wet - I'd rate its water retention as similar to leather.

Comment

OHH - You can use that search term on Brownells and find it too.

Comment

Check out a sling called the Claw. It is rubber and burrs won't stick to it but it will stick to your shoulder. I have one on my turkey gun and my waterfowl gun.
                    I just can't make myself put any sling on an upland gun because roosters have a nasty habit of always flushing when my shotgun is slung,,,, JMHO

Comment

Try the Boonie Packer Slings and Swivels, not your usual sling! I use them on all of my guns and rifles. I provided a number and link but F&S constantly said it was obscene?

Comment

Thanks, RES. Claw sling also utilizes the Quake plastic sling swivels. I did find a product review for the swivels and it was not good! Apparently the new detachable models are very flimsy. Anyway, it appears that the Claw sling utilizes the same polypropylene/nylon webbing straps that are causing problems with my current shotgun sling.

I typically do not have the sling on my shotgun when pheasant hunting but it sure is nice to pull it out of the vest when I am done for the day and have a long hike ahead to get back to vehicle.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad