Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's build an AR!

Let's build an AR!

I got a stripped AR 15 lower for CHRISTmas.
    So far, I've decided it will be .223/5.56.
    Flat top.
    Collapsible stock.
    Short, heavy barrel.

I've set up this subject at
    "Message Boards"
    "Firing Line"
    and look up "Are You An AR Builder?"

Because threads don't disappear as quickly, you won't have to search for it.

I've got questions for those who have built or are building an AR.

Comment

For the barrel check out these Rock Rivers and see if one catches your eye.

www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id= 275

For a flat top upper check out the VLTOR MUR-1A.

www.vltor.com/mur.htm

For a collapsible stock look at this.

www.palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/stock-kits/palmetto-state-armory-moe-stock-kit-black.html

And if you just need the stock and not the stock kit then look at this.

www.palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/stocks/moe-m4-carbine-collapsible-butt-stock-military-model.html

Comment

And of course you will need a charging handle and BCG to go with that upper.

www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-GUNFIGHTER-Charging-Handle-GFH-Mod-4-p/bcm%20gfh%20mod%204%20556.htm

www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/bcm%20bolt%20carrier%20group%20auto%20mp.htm

Comment

My son has built several AR's. There is no end to the number of combinations and accessories you can buy for an AR. Have fun.

Comment

Always FUN! I highly suggest you get a good heavy barrel. A good one will give you accuracy on par with the best of bolt rifles. 20-22 inches is optimum for accuracy but 24 inches is not much less accuracy and gives you more speed if you intend to use it for varmint hunting. I use a 24" heavy barrel for varmint hunting. I get 3450 fps out of a 50g V-Max bullet with .25 MOA accuracy. The flat shooting, highly accurate .223 lets me enjoy target and p-dog shooting out to 500 yards and is most deadly on foxes and coyotes. I suggest adding an Accurizer Wedge. It cut my group size in half.

A highly accurate AR is absolutely FUN!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad