Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tip of the day: What to do when zipper handle breaks off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• afyffe8600
    replied
    String!

Leave a comment:

• wittsec
    replied
    For anyone looking for a paperclip just throw any tool in a drawer and it will turn into a paperclip in no time.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Use some zipper lube before hunting season on clothing and packs, gun cases and you won't have a problem.
    I have Carhartt camo pants that has a solid brass zipper and that needs lube every fall to work smoothly, same thing with my pack.

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    replied
    Are you guys really saying that you simply FIX things? That you actually MAKE DO? C'mon, you're supposed to just go and buy a new jacket, for cryin' out loud. What freakin' culture are you a part of, anyway?

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    replied
    And they are all over the place

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    replied
    I am with jay on this one. Paper clips come in all sizes and colors.

Leave a comment:

• buckhunter
    replied
    I add a small loop of string to my zipper pulls for extra grab-ability.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Gary, PHW: I have replaced/reattached zipper bodies but it is tricky and not always successful. If you're VERY careful, you can pry open the jaw of zipper body and slip it back on appropriate side of zipper for jacket opening. Then CAREFULLY clamp it back down with a pair of pliers. These zipper bodies are usually made of cheap pot metal so there isn't much "wiggle room" with them. They break easily under pressure (prying or clamping). Give it a try. What have you got to lose? Gary, since your pack will require reattaching both halves of the zipper body, I don't hold out much hope for success. Can Cabela's help you?

Also, if a zipper starts to "skip" or snag during opening or closing, the closure mechanism is likely too loose. CAREFULLY clamp the zipper jaws down a BIT with pliers. That usually takes care of the problem.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Good tips here. Thanks for bringing it up OH.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    I used a tie on a loaf of bread.

Ontario, early this month during my Jersey bear hunt my Cabelas day pack had the entire zipper body come off.
    Is there any tip for fixing that?

Leave a comment:

• Pray- hunt-work
    replied
    You ever see a young guy racing around a Hardware store in Wyoming on his tippy toes looking for split rings off a key chain, youll know it's me and I've broken my zipper and have to pee!! J/k, good advice O.H. but like Douglas asked, what to do about Red Chinas separated zippers?

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    I have used safety pins too and they work fine. The nice thing about the ring is my finger will slip inside which makes it great for opening and closing when my hands are very cold. Hard to grab those skinny tabs when you can't feel the end of your fingers! Two years ago the zipper tab broke on my Browning's soft gun case and I happened to have a spare key ring in the glove box so I put it on. It has worked out great! So well that I'm thinking about busting the tab off the zipper for my hunting coat and replacing it with a ring.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Douglas
    Toss it in the rag bin and get a new one!

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    A Safety Pin always worked for me.

Leave a comment:

• Douglas
    replied
    Any idea on fixing the separated plastic zippers from communist red china?

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad