Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody recommend a good day backpack for hunting? I would like a tough pack with plenty of room. I carry most of my huntin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody recommend a good day backpack for hunting? I would like a tough pack with plenty of room. I carry most of my huntin

Does anybody recommend a good day backpack for hunting? I would like a tough pack with plenty of room. I carry most of my hunting clothes in my pack so I don’t break into a sweat after a long walk to my tree stand. I hunt bear on government land so I go in deep to get away from the masses. Many of my day packs in the past had shoulder straps break and this last hunt my heavy duty pack had the zipper head break off. I would love to have a day back pack that will last over five years. I’m at Wits End! Please Help and I don't care if its expensive. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Your best bet is military surplus. Check your local army store or Sportsman's Guide. Surplus packs in general are much tougher. I also have a pack from Maxpedition which was expensive but great.

Comment

Check Campmor and Cabelas. llBean, REI. Military are good quality - the three day pack may be good for you + it has a lot of pockets.
      If you don't need the compartments, have you considered a trappers basket pack? Not much to break on a basket.

Comment

Gary- I recommend LL Bean, if your breaking packs before their time wears out then I would purchase an LL Bean because of their unlimited lifetime warranty. It's something that many many people abuse the system on to get a new item more often and i wont do it, that is a principle that I refuse to break. But if it's made for a purpose and can't stand up to the claims of its manufacturer, then by all means they should replace it and LL Bean will do that time after time.

Comment

Gary,
          I have tried countless day packs. Just checked my pack closet and the most used are from L L. Bean. My favorites are completely water proof with only buckles, no zippers or Velcro . I have have been in so many situations over the decades where any sound can blow the whole deal. Buckles are the most quite in my experience. I have found complex packs may sell well but do not always work well. Hasten to add, I am so weird I usually modify the right shoulder strap so I can readily mount my rifle in a proper position, or occasionally adjust it for comfort. Have been in such serious downpours in the tropics that almost all packs soak , have been in such cold weather that every thing is frozen. My experience keep it simple and fundamentally sound.

Comment

Quiet, sorry

Comment

A few months ago I left a product review for a Browning pack that I am very pleased with so far. If you can't find it with search function, I'll try to dig up the model number. It's locked in the shed but almost -30 this afternoon so not real excited about getting out there unless I have to. I'm sure you understand. :-)

If the tab/handle broke off the zipper, see the tip of the day I just posted above for fixing that.

Comment

Good tip OH.
                We are not that far away and it is +43 deg.
                What a difference a few miles make.

Comment

I'm really happy with my eberlestock X1 daypack. It has a compartment for a water bladder and the gun scabbard is amazing. Give it a look.

Comment

LL.Bean hands down.

Comment

Dana Design and if you want to REALLY get the best Mystery ranch. They are the best packs made but you will pay for the quality. They will NEVER wear out or break but come with a lifetime warranty. They carry every size imaginable and used Bozeman packs are the bees knees for backpacking.

Comment

I like my packs small and simple. Not too many pockets and comfortable. Also like exterior webbing where I can easily attach or detach clothes if necessary. My current patch is a Badlands.

Comment

Gary,
                          Go to the web sites Hobob recommends. Also, check out the pictures of packs in use.
                          The biography of Dana Gleason is interesting.
                          Used packs are on Amazon and E-Bay from time to time.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad