Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you guys prefer classic lined leather gloves or modern nylon gloves for cold weather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you guys prefer classic lined leather gloves or modern nylon gloves for cold weather?

Do you guys prefer classic lined leather gloves or modern nylon gloves for cold weather?

It depends on the application, but I usually prefer thin poly-pro glove liners as my go to. Those alone will get me through temperatures down to about freezing. Below that, I wear loose fitting wool gloves over the liners. Hunting big game when I expect quick shooting, I will cut the trigger finger off the wool gloves. For duck hunting, I wear the wool gloves while waiting for birds to come in, but switch them out for cheap neoprene gloves when dealing with the decoys. With decoying birds, I can usually pull off the wool glove before I need to shoot.

I have worn lined leather gloves for upland hunting, but I find they are a compromise I don't need. They aren't as warm as the wool gloves, and don't have the dexterity of the liners.

Comment

I give the edge to nylon because they seem to allow me to use the trigger a little better than leather

Comment

Neither leather or nylon. Forget those in really cold weather. Only thing worse is neoprene gloves! Ugh! Useless.

I have a pair of polar fleece glomits into which I insert a wool mitt with isolated shooting finger for shooting hand and normal wool mitt for left hand. Problems with wool mitts by themselves are 1) wind blows through them, 2) brush will tear them to pieces, 3) they are slippery for handling the gun. Problem with glomitts by themselves are 1) polar fleece is just not warm enough, 2) cold air leaks around the flap, 3) won't keep hands warm if they get wet or damp. Combining the two styles of mitts has proven to be ideal.

Comment

I have used both, and ones that are a combination of leather and nylon, which I prefer until it gets Montana cold, then the mittens come out!
          When I was a kid, (back before practically everything was invented but the wooly mammoths were gone) I came up with a great combination for hard snow play, wool gloves and huge wool over glove mittens that my mom made for me, I had her make the cuff go half way up to my elbow, so I could wear them over my coat, never minded any of the other kids comments, my hands were warm!

Comment

-30 weather coming later this week. We'll see how my mitten combo holds up to that. Will also be interesting to see how the Browning A-5 does.

Comment

Perfect glove choice totally depend on your choice. But, if you need a gloves considering cold weather then i will go with Pig full dexterity tactical gloves. Very warm and you can do any task with hand. Read review:
              https://besttacticalreviews.com/best-tactical-gloves/

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 300 yard .22lr
                by fitch270
                I wouldn’t spend that much on a 10/22 but I might on a bolt gun. For that kind of money I expect some style to go with it, of the Cooper or Annie level....
                Today, 01:40 PM
              • 300 yard .22lr
                by jhjimbo
                Would you spend $900 for a Ruger 10/22 to shoot 300yds ? A little over 1" at 100 and a little 0ver 6" at 300yds. Lapua and SK ammo used....
                Today, 11:28 AM
              • Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                by jhjimbo
                I like the Remington Golden Saber Black Belt 147gr 9mm (not +P) and the 180gr in .40. Check out the statistics. Some LEO friends always suggest the heavy...
                Today, 01:28 PM
              • Cheaper Than Dirt
                by jhjimbo
                Lots of ammo back in stock, but the prices are right up there to....
                Today, 12:21 PM
              • Reply to Trump
                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                So Trumpish. Everything is about looking for dirt. Or making it up (e.g. the "birther" crap). The guy couldn't win on his merits ... because...
                Today, 01:28 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X