Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum or carbon arrows and why?

Aluminum or carbon arrows and why?

Carbon. I used to use aluminum but bows are designed to shoot sticks. Shooting a carbon arrow that flexes a little bit will give you better speed and accuracy. That is why carbon arrows have a stiffness rating. I you actually watch an arrow fly from a bow it bends and then straightens out. Much the same as when Indians shot bows. Aluminum arrows are rigid and will maximize any tuning problems in your bow.

Comment

Carbon... speed.

Comment

I remember when we moved to Tucson, I had an endless hunting area across the street and at age 12 I believed I died and went to heaven you would've thought. I used wooden arrows and for plinking and at 45-50 pounds, they worked fantastic and I was able to repair broken tips that snapped off the reason why I kept them at the original length or 2 inches longer than my draw length. For Christmas, my Parents gave me arrows made of woven fiberglass and they shot fantastic, but one ding all it took to send them to the trash can. Later I got my hands on Dads aluminum Arrows and used aluminum until 14 -15 years ago. As for plinking around, they damaged easily and became costly. When I bought my Brothers Bow along with Gold Tip along with 5575 Carbon Arrows immediately I was far more accurate than any other stick & string at 40 yards. In 99, I replaced it with a HCA 4Runner and at 70 pounds with 28 inch Gold Tips with 100 grain 3 bladed Muzzy's, 60 yard shots and MOCC I haven't been convinced yet to trade any of it for newer models.

Comment

Have you tried any of the full metal jackets? It's aluminum with carbon fire on the inside. I've heard they shoot real clean.

Comment

Schultzii4 is right on the money when it comes to the best arrow out there in my option. the easton FMJ is a carbon and aluminum arrow with the carbon on the inside. they have a +_.001 straightness and are heavier then most carbon arrows yet lighter then aluminums. Carbon arrows tend to flex when they hit something eventually snapping when they flex too much while Aluminum arrows tend to bend and stay bent. so by having both you get the best of both worlds flex and strength. yet you pay for quality. Carbon are the way to go now if you want to be a bit more economical. They have tighter tolerances in manufacturing, are less expensive, have thinner shafts allowing for less wind drift and better penetration, easier to tune to your bow and can be shot with smaller helical fletchings which have less drag and are better in the wind then 3" or 4" offset vanes/feathers.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad