Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Product review continued: Cabela's Brush Buster Wader Jacket

Product review continued: Cabela's Brush Buster Wader Jacket

Bought this jacket at the end of the season last year. Figured I should give an updated review after using it through this season.

Here's the product: www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Brush-Buster8482-GORE-TEX174-Waterfowl-4-in-1-Systems-Wading-Jacket8482-150-Regular/750782.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2 Fsearch.cmd%3FN%3D0%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DBr ush%2BBuster%2BJacket%26WT.srch%3D1%26WT.tsrc%3DPP C%26WT.mc_id%3DGOOGLE%7Cmeh_Waterfowl%2BClothing_C old%2BWeather%7CUSA%26rid%3D20%26WT.z_mc_id1%3D437 00001116436334%26gclid%3DCKnnsfii-roCFY9sfgod-WQAKA%26gclsrc%3Daw.ds&Ntt=Brush+Buster+Jacket&WTz _l=PPC

The fabric is tough, that's for sure. It may be breathable Goretex but it's really hard to tell because the shell's lining definitely is not breathable. Would have been better if they'd used the same microfleece material that's on the inside of the collar. A game bag would have been a good addition to this jacket since it was apparently designed for pounding the brush (i.e. jump shooting ducks or pheasant hunting). The inside jacket is not very useful. The nylon taffeta lining generates a lot of sweat if one has to hike around at all. Presumably, a jacket designed with brush resistant outer shell is something meant to be walked in a lot so why not make the lining jacket of more breathable material? Also the lining jacket has a gathered hem which causes it to climb up my back all the time. Ugh! Would have been better if it had a drawstring at the bottom like the outer shell. I now wear a brown polar fleece zip-up jacket with drawstring hem inside the outer-shell. The zip-in inner jacket is pure decoration. Sometimes I wear it with cowboy hat to the bar. The gathered cuffs of the outer shell are already beginning to fray. I do like the hidden pocket for stowing calls to keep them from freezing up. I stash my binocs and dog whistle in there. The snaps over the cargo pockets are fairly easy to engage which is a good thing otherwise shells stowed loose in them have a tendency to crawl out. The zippered slash pockets over chest are better for stowing extra shells (only ten loops in cargo pockets).

This is a good product but way too much money for something that required significant modification (another liner jacket) to be useful. Hopefully Cabela's will continue to improve this product.

Comment

The hood is kinda weird in that the microfleece lining is only attached to the outer Goretex material around the edges. Hood is also somewhat oversize. Has a tendency to push my cap down over my eyes. It's almost impossible to reattach the zip-on hood without taking the jacket off. Would have been better if they'd used snaps like the old Herters model I bought from Cabela's six years ago. The high zip-up collar of this jacket is great.

Comment

Sounds like only 2 stars, send it back to Cabela's.

Comment

OHH,
          For someone who is critical of Cabela's so often, why do you buy their stuff? Just sayin'

Comment

I don't usually buy their stuff. I received a gift certificate. The other brand 4-in-1 jackets on the market aren't really much better ... or even as good. A few years ago someone was making a breathable parka and one could buy a separate polar fleece lining jacket that would zip inside it. Can't seem to find it now though.

The main concern for me is that this jacket by its name implies it is designed for hiking in heavy brush, not simply sitting in a blind on a cold day. The latter is what most 4-in-1 jackets/parkas are designed for.

My comments are intended to be an appraisal, not criticism. The jacket has many fine qualities. But it could be improved. The zip in jacket, for example, is designed to look like a bomber jacket. Doesn't work no matter what the wearer is doing. A gathered waist on typical bomber style jackets is not a problem because their weight will keep them in place (they're usually made of heavy leather/wool materials). However, this jacket is very lightweight and consequently keeps creeping up every time the wearer bends over. Simple fix is to change it to drawstring waist.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How much is too much?
              by FirstBubba
              That's about as good an answer as there is, redangus.
              When I worked in a sporting goods store and a customer asked me the "best caliber"...
              Today, 10:12 PM
            • How much is too much?
              by FirstBubba
              There is no doubt that a .30-06 Spgfld is more than adequate to actually slay a whitetail.

A lot of newbies come here and ask, "What...
              Today, 09:40 AM
            • Reply to How much is too much?
              by jhjimbo
              If the friend shot through a tree he must have had a full metal jacket solid. My BIL and I shot at a tree and he went through and my 30-30 penetrated...
              Today, 10:10 PM
            • Reply to More Bad News....
              by jhjimbo
              Wishing you get some reassuring news from the Vet. Be with her all you can and keep the faith. Will pray for you all. Jim
              Today, 10:02 PM
            • More Bad News....
              by WA Mtnhunter
              My 13+ year old Black Lab is still plugging along. Not sure how much or if he will hunt this fall. The real bad news is that my 8-year old Lab, Scout,...
              07-19-2020, 12:00 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X