Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is a stupid question but I cannot find and answer anywhere. Through no fault of my own, I have an extra trolling motor bat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is a stupid question but I cannot find and answer anywhere. Through no fault of my own, I have an extra trolling motor bat

This is a stupid question but I cannot find and answer anywhere. Through no fault of my own, I have an extra trolling motor battery almost new and in good shape. Big Amps. Deep cycle. My truck soon will need a battery. I Know you can’t take a vehicle battery and put it on a boat, But can you do it in reverse? Take that extra trolling motor battery and put in on a vehicle?

Sure, no problem. 12 volt is 12 volt. Better make sure it will fit in the truck's battery box though. Marine batteries are often larger size.

Comment

Been runnin a marine battery in mah van fur the last seven yearz.

There's always plenty of current available on freezing days.

Comment

My short answer is NO. A trolling motor(deep cycle) is designed to give up small amounts of amps over long periods of time. Maybe 15 or 20 amps for hours. Also, they need to be re charged very slowly, less than 10amp charge.
        A vehicle battery is designed to give up high amps on starting for a short period of time. As much as 100amps+ for a few minutes. Also, a vehicle battery can be charged at high rates of 20, 40 or even 50 amps which is what most cars charge at. Using in reverse can damage the batteries.
        There are some batteries that are combination - in which case they can be interchanged. If so the battery would be clearly marked so.

Comment

Ditto~bayouwff +1
          I use a deep cycle battery in my 2002 F-150 4x4 with a front mounted 12,000# winch, never had a lick of trouble(5Yr)

Comment

I always read that the two batteries were designed to discharge and be recharged very differently - they way that jhjimbo described. They were not interchangeable for use.

But then Treestand, beyouwoof and OH have a different experience. If their batteries are not the combo type, (maybe they will confirm) then give it a try.

Comment

The "marine battery" I referred to may not be the same as a trolling motor battery. I don't have an electric trolling motor. I run marine batteries in my 24' cruiser with 250 hp inboard/outboard. And in the off season I'll run them in my truck. Marine batteries are "deep cycle" with more cranking power. Marine alternator is the same as motor vehicle except that it's sealed to keep sparks from getting to bilge fumes.

Comment

I don't know much about batteries, but I recall that many years ago, I used an old 12-volt car battery to power my trolling motor.
                I guess that was not a "marine battery" application.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad