Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anybody ever used a deer decoy while hunting? Do they work or are they a waste of money? I read on the Outdoor Life website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anybody ever used a deer decoy while hunting? Do they work or are they a waste of money? I read on the Outdoor Life website

Has anybody ever used a deer decoy while hunting? Do they work or are they a waste of money? I read on the Outdoor Life website that an Alaska moose came into somebody yard because he was hot over an elk shooting target.

Here is the link to that story called "Moose Fatal Attraction to a 3D Target".

www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/hunting/2013/09/mooses-fatal-attraction-3d-target

Comment

I have used a Montana decoy buck a few times this season. I haven't seen many deer, so I can't tell you a whole lot. One time I had a spike come in, he saw the decoy, looked at it for a second, and began eating. During the rut it may work alot better, but early season it may just give the other deer a little piece of mind it may be safe to be there.

Comment

They work great for antelope hunting. My archer nephew does well with his but antelope are very curious and will run a mile just to check something out. Plus they live on the prairie where they can see a decoy for miles. It brings them close better than just about any other technique.

I haven't tried it for deer but normally consider that to be too much set up for an archery deer and I am always afraid of spreading too much of my scent around my tree stand. Calls and scent usually bring deer plenty close for me so I haven't even tried a decoy. A couple years ago I had a nice buck try to climb my tree because I forgot to take off a scent rag I was dragging before I climbed the tree.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad