Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody have any suggestions for a good pair of camp shoes on a guided hunt in the back country? Would you wear your hunting boo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody have any suggestions for a good pair of camp shoes on a guided hunt in the back country? Would you wear your hunting boo

Anybody have any suggestions for a good pair of camp shoes on a guided hunt in the back country? Would you wear your hunting boots while you were eating inside a smelly kitchen tent?

Depending on temperature, Crocs are a great camp/house shoe even if they are goofy looking. They are light weight and don't take up much space in a pack and are comfy to boot! And to answer your question about wearing hunting boots in the kitchen, I am a firm believer that you can try and control scent as much as you want, but an elk/deer downwind of you will almost always wind you. On the other hand you can be as stinky as you would like and an upwind elk won't! I know that there are circumstances that don't fit this mold (swirling winds etc.), but it's still a pretty good rule to live by in my book!

Comment

Gary,
      I have some insulated rubber bottom and leather zip up uppers about 6" tall that are comfortable. Good tread if you do go out for wood or to pee. I think they are from Sears.
      If camp has electric I put the hunt boots on the dryer for the next day. If no electric I keep them up high off the floor to dry and stay warm.

Comment

jhjimbo, what company makes those boots?

rickyno5, I was checking out the Yukon Crocs on line. The only problem is Crocs go up to size 13. I need a size fourteen.

Comment

Gary,
          Schnees makes a whole line of high quality boots leather tops and rubber bottoms. In the old days L L Bean made one I used, rubber bottom with low leather top. Now days I use Schnees six inch leather slip on top with rubber bottom. They also have one that velcro closes which I have used as well. Get them a size or two too big so they slip on easily for a quick run through the snow to the John. I also add a felt inner sole for warmth in a drafty tent during snowy, cold weather.
          Not sure on the name spelling, I will check and if I am way off will let you know. Kindest Regards

Comment

If you call Schnees regarding your size issue, would not be surprised if they came up with an answer. Pretty customer oriented

Comment

Name spelling is correct I own several different models purchased years ago. In those days they were located in Bozeman, Montana

Comment

Gary,
                Size 14? You must be the one responsible for all the big foot sightings...

The model of my boot is Covington, which is a Sears name. Look under Die Hard, they have a front zipper similar to mine for $50. Mine is insulated, but they have uninsulated.

Comment

L L Bean still has a nice list of boots including the low cut leather/ rubber combo. They also have a moc boot that looks interesting. I just checked their catalog. Frankly most of the hunters in my elk camp wore tennis shoes, but I had the trails between the tents, sleeping, cook, and johns shoveled clear.

Comment

One last thought. My Son swears by various types of après ski boots.

Comment

I have a some all rubber slips on from Rugged Shark. I like there desk shoes too.

I never wear my hunting gear back in camp. Too easy to pick up food odors. Yes I know, hunt downwind and play the wind, but you don’t have to smell like a McD’s fryer or a bar either. Its easy to change clothes and keep the hinting cloths in a garbage bag.

Comment

deck shoes not desk shoes…. Hunting clothes, not hinting clothes. stupid spell checker. I gotta remember to turn the auto correct off.

Comment

I never bothered much with camp smell issues. I was usually too pooped at the end of the day to fiddle around with that junk. But then again I had to take care of the horses and myself ... by myself. I swore by Caribou model Sorels back in those days (the boots are just off-shore junk today). I'd pull the liners out and warm them and boots separately by the stove. Just stuck to my wool socks in the tent till footgear was dried out. Then I wore the liners in the tent. It was handy to just jump into the boots sans liners when having to run to answer call of nature. Up here when camping in -20 I'd usually just answer in the tent so no need to bother getting dressed again and freezing my arse off outside. In the comfort of the tent Chinette paper plates took care of #2 which went straight into the stove with TP. A used quart milk carton with top opened up worked nicely as a chamber pot for #1. If pee froze during the night the carton was still usually flexible enough to shake it loose when I headed out in the morning. Hmmm. Perhaps my unorthodox hygiene techniques may explain why I have always hunted alone?

Comment

"Smelly kitchen tent"? If the kitchen smelled that bad, I sure wouldn't be worried about my footwear because I wouldn't be eating there in the first place.

Comment

Boat Shoes around Camp and I Hang all Hunting Gear out side of my Trailer on a Close-line, The Camp stove/eating area are separate from all the trailers.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                My Father and I built a 50'X50' pole barn to store his boat and a couple of friends boats over the winter. Just simple construction, we used 16 used...
                                Today, 04:18 PM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                              • Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                                by Amflyer
                                Aaaaaaaand...there goes Derek.
                                Today, 04:04 PM
                              • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                                by derek7
                                Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                                08-11-2020, 09:03 AM
                              • Reply to Trump
                                by 99explorer
                                Trump is so desperate to screw up the election that he is willing and able to damage the U.S. Postal Service by withholding necessary funding.
                                He
                                Today, 03:59 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X