Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today I received Cabela's fall waterfowl catalog. Alright, now I'm not purposely ragging on Cabela's (not in this thread anyway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today I received Cabela's fall waterfowl catalog. Alright, now I'm not purposely ragging on Cabela's (not in this thread anyway

Today I received Cabela's fall waterfowl catalog. Alright, now I'm not purposely ragging on Cabela's (not in this thread anyway) but again I have to wonder about the current trends in "gear." On the cover a couple of dudes with a lovely yellow lab are walking to their hunting through a swamp. Everyone except the dog (surprisingly) is decked out in Max-4 camo head to freaking toe (Max-4 was, last I knew, the official camo pattern of DU). Everything that is but the duck calls! One fella has four calls hanging around his neck (a modest number since I see several lanyards in the catalog with loops for EIGHT calls and a whistle. One call is solid black acrylic. The other three are wild bright colors (blue, hunter orange [no kidding!] and gleaming white) and each has the usual and inexplicably bright silver/gold band around the barrel. The second fella has only two calls on his lanyard, one being wooden and the other bright green. Both have gleaming large metal bands around barrels. The gents each have a pile of shiny metal bird bands strung on their lanyards. Can someone please explain to me why today's hunters see the need to have everything including their boots camoed up but use calls that are as bright as a blinking neon sign? A goose is not going to see my boots stuck in the mud but I need to have the call up and working as they're coming in. They will see that! The ultimate absurdity is the new Duck Commander call done up in the American flag. You gotta see that thing to believe it (page 61). There's a time and place for patriotism but not when I'm trying to bring birds to my deeks! From looking at the catalog it appears hardly anyone is making calls these days that aren't ridiculous looking. My hat's off to Sean Mann for continuing to carry a full line of old-fashioned "ugly" calls that are totally camo or black. Everyone else seems to have gone over to the bright side.

That's just it OH, we don't need all that shiny stuff, but if I can get you(well, not you) to buy this (and you know many will), Hooray for Retail! I too, do not like when every thing is draped in the American flag, a odd and bright color or needless camo.Stay safe out there.

Comment

Ontario, I agree with you.
      I try to buy everything in camo dealing with hunting. If not then I paint it in camouflage.

My game cart wasn't camo so I painted it. I take it deep into the woods and hide it a couple hundred yards from my tree stand area. If I harvest game the cart is near by. Why should I waste time to walk back to the vehicle to get my game cart?

Comment

Have wondered the same thing myself, so many bright colors and finishes, I have just a few calls and they are either wood, bourbon brown, or clear, and even with those I am self conscious about the bright bands and coloring, might have to paint them.

Comment

[Blank]

Comment

All those bright colors and shiny things are sure fire lures to catch rednecks. Just like teh sparkles in the paint of bass boats.

Comment

I do like some things not in camo and a standout if not bright color, like a knife! the last thing I need is everything blending in so I have trouble finding it, I know that calls are supposed to stay on lanyards, but not everything I do does what it is supposed to do! I think we go crazy overboard with the camo thing anyway.

Comment

The sun came up.

The grass is green.

OHH complains about Cabelas.

The world is right today.

Comment

OH, the nights must be getting long already up in the great white north. That is the second add in the last month you have analyzed! :-) You have a great point and you are dead right, of course. I laugh at these ads and the amazing amount of gear that is hyped for the simple sport of hunting and fishing. Our American youth are raised to think that if they don't have the latest camo pattern or at least half a dozen calls that they will come home empty handed. I have no doubt that men like Sitting Bull or Geronimo would shed a tear gazing on one of these ads, realizing what the hunters of their homeland have become.

Comment

Funny one, Jay!

I wonder why Ontario never bashes Pro Bass, LL Beam and Gander Mountain.

Comment

Gary, those outfits are not sending me their catalogs. Not sure how I wound up on Cabela's sucker list. Nonetheless, I enjoy perusing the catalogs. Some stuff seems a bit overpriced though. I bought a Cabela's waterfowl jacket last year (circumstances beyond my control) and as you may recall I gave it a pretty good review. The above comments about duck calls were not directed at Cabela's. They sell calls made by almost everybody. This silly trend was not started by Cabela's.

First time out goose hunting today. No luck but a beautiful evening. I'll probably start to mellow out now ... for a few more weeks anyway. :-)

Comment

Jay +1
                        OH,
                        Do you even have a Cabela's. Bass or Gander up North? Where do you buy your things?
                        Going back and forth, you must have dual Citizenship, green card?
                        Just wondering how that works for licenses, gear, guns, ammo, finances, etc.
                        I have often thought about having a place in the North but it sounds complicated and U.S. might not be all that welcome. ??

Comment

Ontario, I don’t know why somebody on this website keeps giving you a minus one for your harmless comments. I will continue to give you a plus one to remove the childish mark against you.

Whoever is acting like a “woman scorned?”
                          Please grow up and knock it off. We all have had pi$$ing matches with each others on this site but it is time to move on and forget about it.

Comment

Gary, don't worry about it. I don't. Bubba admitted a while back that he was doing it. But maybe that was then not now. Who cares.

jimbo: I'm a US citizen. Have lived here since 1989. When I immigrated the US would not allow dual citizenship. It is doable now though. Perhaps it changed after Free Trade Agreement. Anyway, I am a "landed immigrant." I permanently retain all rights of Canadian citizen except I cannot vote or work for federal government. I do own property in Montana but I am not resident there unless I live more than six months out of the year. If I did that I'd lose my medical benefits up here. I buy non-resident hunting/fishing licenses in Montana. Until last year I did have a valid Montana commercial drivers license as well as my Ontario general driving license (it is legal to have drivers licenses in more than one country but not more than one state/province). However, I never used my Montana drivers license to purchase hunting/fishing licenses. I'm not that stupid!

Getting guns back and forth across the border is a bit tricky because of my unusual situation. I have the paperwork from both Canada and US Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. Buying gun parts in the states requires that I have them shipped to the border and bring them across manually. The US does not allow shipping of any gun parts (including stocks, sling swivels, etc.) across the border via ordinary means (courier or mail). I believe there is a Cabela's in Winnipeg. I generally have anything mail ordered shipped to a general store just the other side of the border (forty minutes away) and drive across to pick it up. The store has a large warehouse and they do quite a bit of business receiving goods for Canadians (at a nominal fee). Shipping mail ordered items from the US across the border is quite expensive as the shippers will charge a customs brokerage fee to get the item through border red tape. A long time ago the UPS brokerage rate started at $36 per item. The sad thing is that none of the mail order businesses actually tell their over the border customers about this (obviously to do so would cost them business) so it comes as quite the bombshell when the item arrives and purchaser has to shell out the brokerage fee to get their merchandise. Also, one can often save the customs duty (usually only sales tax) on items ordered from the states if picked up and brought across. You will always pay the customs duty for mail order merchandise. The single day duty exemption has finally been raised in Canada to something like three hundred bucks (more depending on length of stay in US).

Comment

I should clarify: "You will always pay customs duty for mail order merchandise shipped directly to your home."

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad