Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Product review: Browning Wasatch 44L backpack

Product review: Browning Wasatch 44L backpack

h.ttp://www.fieldsupply.com/browning-wasatch-44l-top-load-backpack-realtree-ap.html#.Ui9879LkvSs

I picked up one of these packs on sale here in NW Montana for sixty bucks. Needed a decent backpack for as long as I can remember. In the old days I had horses do all the work for me but now need something to do it myself the hard way. I wasn't looking for a big pack but something just large enough to carry my breathable chest waders, wading boots, raincoat, and lunch. This one looked like it could handle that and the price was difficult to pass up. It's Realtree camo with brown trim. The back of the pack is some kind of net supported well away from the pack itself, allowing maximum airflow between myself and the payload. This is my first encounter with this kind of technology. Hopefully it holds up. The desired load just fit inside the pack which was a pleasant surprise. No hydration reservoir which is okay for the country I intended to use it (lots of springs along the trail). It has some interesting pockets a few of which are almost hidden. It has a very nice belly strap which situates the load on two pads in the kidney areas. At first I didn't think I'd like that but eventually came to appreciate the air circulation it allows. The straps are well padded S-shaped with a chest strap to connect them. The left strap is elastic and I have a feeling it might eventually lose its stretch. But that could easily be repaired with a solid replacement. The pack has a fixed rain fly tucked into a zippered pouch at the bottom. For some strange reason the fly is bright yellow which doesn't make much sense for an otherwise fully camo pack. But the fly works well and kept my stuff and the pack very dry in a serious downpour. A few things I didn't like: The strap clips are a pain in the butt. They are fancy open type which as far as I can tell are simply decorative. Not functional at all as one has to be looking at them to get things lined up properly. And the pack must be designed for Andre the Giant! I had to take up all the straps almost to the hilt to get this pack to fit properly (I'm 6'1" and 185 lbs). Hmmm. Maybe the "44L" in the title refers to the sizing? The belly strap system is a bit overboard for a pack of this dimenstion. Much more padding and thickness than was necessary. All in all I am quite satisfied ... at least for the time being, especially considering the price.

Comment

In the web address you have to remove the . after the first h. I tried fixing it and posting but it got deleted for some reason. Nice pack and price.

Comment

I got the link to work - just remove everything to the left of the first W.

Looks like a nice pack. Browning usually has their name on quality products.
        I have been using the current Army 3 day pack with the digital camo. It is expandable and has a internal hydration compartment if needed.
        Good luck - happy trails.

Comment

Hobob, that's why I added the period. Otherwise the spam filter makes the entire post with link disappear.

Comment

Ontario, it is a nice backpack. You can't go wrong with anything made by Browning.

The website below for Field Supply is sold out of those backpacks.

www.fieldsupply.com/browning-wasatch-44l-top-load-backpack-realtree-ap.html

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad