Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One gentleman from Maryland on this website had his tree stand and trail camera stolen a few days ago. Another gentleman from Te

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skeeb
    replied
    Simple, tie him to a tree. Then forgive myself for doing it and forget about him. *joking* But in all seriousness, this is a tough question to answer for me without actually being in that situation, I guess it would depend on the mood I am in that particular day as to what my actions would be.

Leave a comment:

• mspl8sdcntryboy
    replied
    Thanks Gary. Just the way I feel about justice.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    By the way guys, I testified in a New Jersey Municipal Court two different times against hunters who were caught trespassing on my hunting lease.

The Honorable Judge slammed both of them with $250 fines, $75 safe neighborhood compensation, $50 violent crimes compensation, $30 in court cost plus it goes on their police record.

I did forgive both of those trespassers after justice was served.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    99explorer and country road, that were both funny. I think I would turn the other cheek if Bigfoot or a MMA contender were stealing my hunting equipment.

By the comments above it is great to see some type of action against the thief would have been taken by all.

And Country Boy, good comment.

Leave a comment:

• mspl8sdcntryboy
    replied
    Everyone has a responsibility to protect what is theirs. Christianity backs that up, the good Lord never said to allow your property to be stolen from you, just that it shouldn't take priority in your life.
    Reporting a thief or even apprehending a thief (if safe enough) is the best thing you could do for everyone involved: the thief because it would at least give him a chance to reform, if he doesn't that is his choice. You, because your stuff is safe. Everyone else, because next time it could be an armed robbery in a home that might not end so well.
    If you know who did it you have a responsibility to report them, if you do not know who you have an obligation (at least as a Christian) to forgive them.

Leave a comment:

• mspl8sdcntryboy
    replied
    Everyone has a responsibility to protect what is theirs. Christianity backs that up, the good Lord never said to allow your property to be stolen from you, just that it shouldn't take priority in your life.
    Reporting a thief or even apprehending a thief (if safe enough) is the best thing you could do for everyone involved: the thief because it would at least give him a chance to reform, if he doesn't that is his choice. You, because your stuff is safe. Everyone else, because next time it could be an armed robbery in a home that might not end so well.
    If you know who did it you have a responsibility to report them, if you do not know who you have an obligation (at least as a Christian) to forgive them.

Leave a comment:

• country road
    replied
    I'm too dang old to get into any kind of butt kicking altercation, so I'd have to try and get the law involved---with my luck the perp would be a 6'4" 300lb. MMA contender. When it comes to forgiveness, I'll go along with the man who said,"I'll forgive him just as soon as he is hanged."

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    jimbo is right. Brandishing a weapon could get you three years in the slammer for aggravated assault.
    And if you don't have bills of sale or other proof of ownership, the thief could claim to be the owner of the property and be allowed to keep it.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    If you approach a thief and are in possession of a weapon, and you get in an altercation, get a good lawyer because you are going to need one.
    Leave the thief to the authorities.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    And what if the thief turns out to be Bigfoot?

Leave a comment:

• Grassroots89
    replied
    [Blank]

Leave a comment:

• themadflyfisher
    replied
    It's hard to say what I would do until I was actually in that situation. We can all say "I'd kick his a$$" but in reality only a very small percentage of people would actually do that. Also, assault charges are far more serious than theft. Doesn't matter if he was stealing your stuff or not. I think I would try and find his vehicle and/or follow him out of the woods while on the phone with the police. A warning shot to a tree would be very satisfactory but who's to say you wouldn't get one back?

Leave a comment:

• Chewylouie
    replied
    Mr. Gary - Calling the police could be, in a way, loving the man. If he is young, and goes to jail for it, you would hope that it would teach him a lesson and keep him from going to jail for more serious crimes later in his life. Not likely, but you would hope it would nock some sense into him. Hopefully He will realize $150 worth of hunting gear is not worth jail time.
    Now, I would detain the man, call the authorities and while we were waiting, I would witness to him. Now, he might not listen to you because you are sending him to jail. That really doesn't matter though, because, if the Holy Spirt is not working on him, he would not be receptive, even if you didn't call the police on him. You witness to him regardless though.

About forgiveness, it is something we should do if we catch the thief or even if we never see him. Just think about the fact that if it were not for the grace of GOD, we would all be running around stealing each others trail cameras and hunting stands.

Something eles to think about. Just coveting you neighbor stuff is just as bad as stealing, according to the New Testament. In that case, we are all thieves, one just as bad as another. I'm sure we have all looked at a buddies rifle, or truck, or boat, and said, "Man that thing is nice! I wish I had one/it". My point is that the 10 commandments do nothing but condemn, But, the GOOD NEWS of the gospel forgives.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    By the way Dallas, a couple days ago you told Jack to forgive man, love the man, tell the man about the Gospel and get over the blind and camera. You never mention any type of legal action.

Today, your comment above states you would probably get the plate number and call the police.

Make up your mind Dallas, forgive and love the thief or call the police?

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Dallas, I am not angry at you and I can't understand why you would even say that.

I called you a “Gentleman from Texas” in my question listed above.
    I can’t get more sugar coated or nicer then that.

I just don’t agree with your earlier comment to Jack after his trail camera and tree stand were stolen.

I just wanted opinions from others users on this website.
    I will quote your own words;

I am sorry to hear that Jack and all I can say is forgive the man, don't and you will not be forgiven. And love the man also and do not remain angry, for it is said not to let the sun go down on your anger. And if you get a chance to meet the man try to tell him about the Gospel. Jesus asked for the men who nailed him to the cross to not have that sin held against them, and Steven asked the same for those who killed himm, I think we can all get over a blind and a camera.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad