Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am trying to decide what kind of broadhead to get. at the moment I am looking at the g5 montec, grim reaper razor tip, or slic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am trying to decide what kind of broadhead to get. at the moment I am looking at the g5 montec, grim reaper razor tip, or slic

I am trying to decide what kind of broadhead to get. at the moment I am looking at the g5 montec, grim reaper razor tip, or slick trick. If you have any experience with any of these I would appreciate the help. these will be for whitetails and my draw weight is 46 pounds.

I'm not an expert when it comes to archery, but I prefer a one piece head.
    What limited archery I do, I like the Montec G5. It's superb in my book.

Comment

the montecs and slick tricks are both great. Both are very solid and can punch through with little damage to the blades. However the montecs tend to run a lot more than the slick tricks. Here I see slicks at 29 and montecs in the 40s. My slick tricks shoot the same as my field points out to 60 yards and that is as far as I shoot no more pins after that. I put one through a javalina cleaned and resharpened it and then put it through an elk I then cleaned and resharpened it and no problems with the blades or the ferrell. The elk had huge holes on both sides of the chest. The broadhead broke two ribs going in took out the lungs and broke to ribs going out. I did not get a pass through but after breaking 4 ribs not sure what broadhead would pass through.

Comment

The montec is a great, durable broadhead. My brother took an elk with one this past saturday. The elk was quartering hard to him and he punched it barely behind the shoulder and it stuck in the rear hips cutting the femoral artery as well. Moral of the story after hitting all that bone the broadhead came out sharp and still in great shape!

Comment

for you as a young hunter with a relatively light draw weight and I'm guessing a shorter draw length i would suggest a cut on contact fixed blade broad head with a less aggressive blade angle. these will help with penetration expecally for shots that center punch a rib of glance off the shoulder. both the slick trick and montec are great for this. My I also suggest muzzy 4 blades and magnus stingers as good options as well. I currently shoot montecs but have also hunted with stingers and muzzy's. All have flown great and work very well if you do your part. I have no real favorite and just buy what is in stock and tickles my fancy at the lime i need more broadheads. The major thing for a young hunter like yourself as jpmntman said is cost. muzzy's are the most cost effective because you can get 6 of the longer ferruled heads (with your set up they will fly great) for the price of 3 of the others. All of the heads above will all run you around $30 for 3 heads (the montecs that are in the $40 range are usually the carbon steel ones but i have found no real benefits for the carbon steel vs regular stainless) and muzzy's 6 for around $30.

Comment

Just remember, all broadheads fly differently with your particular set-up. This year I bought 3 different fixed blade heads and tested all of them with my set-up. I tried the Montecs, Muzzy MX-3 and the Slick Trick Magnums. All are very good broadheads, but the Slick Tricks grouped the best. I have been grouping them at just under 2" at 45 yds. They do not fly true to my field points, but I just re-adjusted my sights. I suggest of you have the extra money buy a few broadheads and do a test (at different yds) to see whice ones fly the best with your set-up.

Comment

Different broadheads fly differently with different set-ups. This year I bought 3 different broadheads to test haw they all fly with my set-up. I tryed the Montec's, Muzzy MX-3, and Slick Trick Magnums. All are very good broadheads, but for me the Slick Tricks grouped the best, so thats what I will be using. They didn't fly true to my field points, so I just re-adjusted my sights. I have been grouping them at just under 2" at 45yds. If you have the extra money buy all of them and see what groups (at different yds) the best for you.

Comment

Stupid web-site

Comment

Seeing how no body said Grim Reaper you probably wouldn't look at one. I have close to the same draw weight I am 15 at about 52 lbs of draw weight. The 1 3/8 inch razor tip will give you the need and penetration you need. Call a local pro shop aka. Cabelas Or Bass Pro shops. sporting goods always gives me horrible advice. And tell them your draw length, weight, bow model Etc. I have talked to many people because I recently (last month went through this and picked the Grim reapers. One guy said he got a complete pass through a deer's head! Another guy got a pass through on a 9 foot bear, another on a moose, and another hit the opposite shoulder of a bison. hope this helps,
                  Seth

Comment

They wouldn't allow me to say D!CK'S.
                    sporting goods they said it was obscene or something, LOL.

Comment

Never heard a bad thing about Montec. I have tried a few different broadheads and I always go back to Muzzy. Muzzy's are a good, sharp, strong broadhead.

Comment

I SHOT SLICK TRICKS AND MISSED 2 NICE BUCKS UNDER 25 YARDS GOT RID OF THEM (SUPERSTITOUS) I HEARD THE MONTECS WHISTLE BEEN SHOOTING GRIM REAPERS AND LOVE THEM

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                          by crm3006
                          Wow: Lindsey Graham Refuses to Issue Big Tech Subpoenas

Un-be-lievable.

Lindsey Graham swore up and down that he would
                          Today, 05:22 PM
                        • Reply to Rest Easy
                          by FirstBubba
                          "... I took your advice and blocked the slimy nine and the red rodent, ..."

Welcome! It's pretty sad to rant and rave on a blog...
                          Today, 04:39 PM
                        • Rest Easy
                          by jhjimbo
                          Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                          Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                        • Reply to Rest Easy
                          by 99explorer
                          Even if the Democrats take the White House and the Senate, it will still take 60 Senate votes to kill the filibuster, because of the filibuster!
                          Today, 03:02 PM
                        • Reply to Rest Easy
                          by jhjimbo
                          They know IF Trump wins and holds the Senate and picks up some down ticket it will mean the end of the Dem party for at least ten years if not more....
                          Today, 02:39 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X