Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could choose one rifle, what would it be? I'm also looking to get a good shotgun for beginners.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idahoeditor
    replied
    Ignore advice. The right rifle is a purely individual choice, dictated by where and what you'll hunt.
    Start by finding (in the library, online, or at a gun show) "The Hunting Rifle" by Jack O'Connor.
    With no disrespect to the current Field & Stream gun maven, O'Connor's advice is timeless because:
    A. He clearly explains the whole question (caliber/action/ammunition)
    B. He had a little common sense about price (My major beef with F&S is it too often acts as though a $1,500 rifle makes sense in most hunters' universes.
    C.He's not long-winded. The book is an evening's read.
    I know less about shotguns than I do about rifles, but I can vouch for the durability of a plastic-stock .870, which I've used for everything from sporting clays (I'm serious. I was on an all-pumps team) to Geese. Shotgun experts will have to tell you what book to read. If you must have engraving and wood and all that, a lot of local gunners bought and love their Huglu (spelling?) shotguns from Turkey. Very favorable price for fancy add-ons.

Leave a comment:

• Bella
    replied
    How about a good old Savage Model 24 and have both a shotgun and a rifle in the same gun! I have a .22/410 but they came in all sorts of caliber/ gauge combinations. I saw one in .22 hornet over 20 gauge that looked like it would take nearly anything.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Sorry... forgot the shotgun... Rem 870 for beginners and finishers.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    If elk are not on the ticket but everything else in the lower 48 states is on the ticket, I go with the 25-06. It has exceptionally low recoil to get you started right and phenominal performance on everything from gophers to deer. A great varmint rifle and among fastest of them. I live for speed and it has served me well for over 45 years. The Rem 700 is a good choice.

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    Clay my M700 350 rem mag right out of the box would not eject if you cycled the bolt with any speed. Though you probably are right about M700's overall.

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    Kimber in 30-06 and Benelli SBE will cover the most types of game with only 2 guns.

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    By the way, a 190 grain 30-06 is flatter shooting and harder hitting than a 175 7mm Rem Mag evan at 1000 yards!

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    Weatherby Mark V lightweight sporter in .30-06

Remington 870 12 gauge shotgun, 26 or 28" barrel.

All excellent choices posted above.

Leave a comment:

• hnestle
    replied
    Ruger m77 in 7mm
    Remington 870

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    I’ve helped countless of shooters and I have found the Remington 700 is the most reliable and most accurate rifle out of the box. If you’re going for Elk, I would pick the 30-06 and if Monster Mule Deer is the largest on your ticket, the 25-06 is the bet for those extreme shots and easy to find at any Wal-Mart etc and a bet lighter on the wallet too!

O'Ya,

Remington 870 12ga shotgun with 26 inch barrel

Leave a comment:

• PotterMan96
    replied
    I would go with a 30-06

Leave a comment:

• Beekeeper
    replied
    If I could only have 2 guns:

Ruger M77 Hawkeye Left hand in 30/06

Remington 870 12ga shotgun with 26 inch barrel.

Leave a comment:

• Christian Emter
    replied
    30-06 or 300 Winchester.

Leave a comment:

• rocketman121
    replied
    My rifle is a Weatherby Vanguard .270 WSM. I was just curious what else was out there. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• jay
    replied
    Sako 85 in .30-06.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad