Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best light weight 2-man tent for backpacking into the mountains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best light weight 2-man tent for backpacking into the mountains?

What is the best light weight 2-man tent for backpacking into the mountains?

I've used the eureka timberline for years and have never had a problem.

Comment

I use the North Face Spectrum 23 for all my hiking trips. It is very light weight and even stood strong after a bear pounced on it.

Comment

http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=10384&storeId=207&catalog Id=10201&langId=-1&from=subCat&parent_category_rn=11750&variationId =1W3

Comment

Look for something at Cabela's.com I have a scout tent that is 2 man from Wyoming Outdoors fro $30. Its good for me but you have to leave the window open to keep it from condensating.

Comment

I have to add to my last answer it also weighs 2 pounds.

Comment

pretty much anything marmot should do the trick for ya, lightweight and great quality.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I appreciate the input.

Comment

I've used the eureka timberline for years and have never had a problem.

Comment

Mountain Hardware Light Wedge 2. It weight less than 5 lbs, will sleep 2 easily (1 very comfortably+gear inside). I've used mine for 5 seasons now and never had 1 issue. As far as its competition, I know most north faces like the Spectrum, you can't even sit totally up in. The LW2, has great ceiling pockets for clamping a headlamp on too! Love Mine!

Comment

I use a Kelty Gunnison 2. It is not top of the line as far as price goes, about $100-$150 I think (I have had if for a long while, it is build to last) but I can't think of anything on it I would like to see upgraded, except for the stakes, the round aluminum ones it comes with are junk, they bend too easy. I replaced them with the rigid three sided type and have no complaints. The only reason I can see to spend more on a tent is less weight, you have to ask yourself if a handful of ounces is worth another $100 or more. Pack weight for mine is about 5 1/4 lbs. I especially like that it has two doors and vestibules so that you don't have to climb over your partner to take a leak and you can store your own boots, pack, etc. within easy reach.

Comment

I have used a tent by Eureka for the past 8 years not sure of the name now, but Galyans had their name on it. Just google Eureka and 2 man tent

Comment

you can also just tarp and net it for warm weather and easy carry

Comment

The Gunnison answer is the best one so far, but there are a lot of good ones. If you're putting two people in it who are adults and you'll always have both of you together, go ahead and get a 3 or 4 man tent and split it up to carry. You'll be 100% more comfortable. If you anticipate hanging out in the tent due to weather, get one with good headroom. Get a coated floor and one that the fly comes all the way to the ground. If you want to get up early, get a tent that is light in color; if you want to sleep late, get one that's dark. Check out Campmor, and get something that's under 7 lbs for a 4-man or under 5 for a two man. I have a 1.5 man Walrus that I love for just me (big enough to put some gear in with me and never get wet). I have a 2 man Eureka that I use for car camping when I need more room, and a 6-man Eureka for hunting base camp when setting up for more than 2 days. Last, don't get a single-wall tent if temps will be more than 60 at night -- they aren't breathable enough and won't keep you dry enough.

Comment

I use eureka timberline and love it!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad