Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im getting ready to buy either a bow or crossbow, I was just wondering what people thought was better for them as far as name br

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im getting ready to buy either a bow or crossbow, I was just wondering what people thought was better for them as far as name br

Im getting ready to buy either a bow or crossbow, I was just wondering what people thought was better for them as far as name brands. also looking to keep it under $600

I would definitely get a bow rather than a crossbow. Crossbows, on average, are more regulated when it comes to hunting. Not sure if you are buying your first bow or if you have a bit of experience, but I would recommend reading Dave Hurteau's article on testing bows for $300. The Bear Encounter topped the bows and was pretty competitive against the $700-class of bows.

Comment

Perhaps the biggest advantage that a crossbow has over the compound bow is its ease of use. It doesn’t take very long to learn how to use a crossbow, while it can take a long time to master a compound, a cam, recurve or a long bow.

Another crossbow advantage is it takes less movement before a shot. Regular bow you must draw back the bow and a deer could hear your clothing rub, a noisy bow, a bone crack or another sound.

The advantage of regular bows is they are three times lighter. Walking a long distance to your hunting spot could be a killer with a heavy crossbow.

Regular bows are much faster to load for a second shot if needed.

My opinion I think it is more of a sport using a bow over a cross "gun" with its trigger pull and its gun stock.

In New Jersey for years you had to be handicap and were unable to pull the bow string back then you could use a crossbow license. Jersey passed the law a few years ago now every Joe Six Pack can use one today.

Comment

thank you both for your help I think im going with a compound bow I had one before it was a old PSE so I know how to use one.

Comment

By the way if you want a bow buy a Hoyt.

If you want a crossbow get a "Ten Point". My hunting friend Wayne loves his Ten Point crossbow. He told me his quiver broke on his crossbow and Customer Service for Ten Point send him a new one free of charge.

A D.ck's Sporting Goods Store employee told Wayne and I that Barnett Crossbow Customer Service stinks.

Comment

Make sure to look at you local laws. Some states do not allow crossbows during archry season. I have never owned or even used a crossbow, so I would say get a compound. There are a lot out there within your price range. Before you dive into it, go to a few places that sell bow, specificaly a dedicated archery shop, and test different bows. Bear makes some really good bows, but for me they just don't feel right in my hand. Bowtech/Diamond is what feels the best for me. There are many good manufactures out there.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Debate #1
              by crm3006
              Here ya go, bandicoot. Another flattering meme about you dementia suffering hero.

Today, 10:59 PM
            • Debate #1
              by FirstBubba
              Debate #1 is supposedly a go.
              Not sure if Biden will get his "fact checker" or not. Probably not. If the fact checkers are honest, it...
              Yesterday, 08:42 PM
            • Reply to Debate #1
              by crm3006
              From the bandicoot: "Keep it up!"

I will for shore. Don't worry yore lil' pea brain 'bout that!
              Today, 10:57 PM
            • Reply to Debate #1
              by 99explorer
              Keep it up!
              Today, 10:46 PM
            • Reply to Couldn't help it. Picked up a NEF Handi in .243
              by Buckshott00
              Well my count was a little off when I took full account.

While messing with my Ranch rifle, I took off the scope on my .280 and on one of...
              Today, 10:45 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X