Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is it that spinning and even spincasting rods are used over baitcasters for big fish, like catfish and carp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is it that spinning and even spincasting rods are used over baitcasters for big fish, like catfish and carp?

Why is it that spinning and even spincasting rods are used over baitcasters for big fish, like catfish and carp?

I've got a "big" spinning reel(auctualy 2) that I use for cats, and striper's here in Ark. but I'd say it's the "gearing" in the reels is why most are bait caster type.

Comment

Well, as the anti yuppie fisherman, I hate to say this, but price might have a lot to do with it. Go to wowmart and check out all the cheap catfish rigs with spinning and spincasting reels. If I was planning on catfishing for a living, I wouldn't have either. I would have a big baitcaster mega-crank reel like the ones used in saltwater or great lakes charters.

Comment

Those "cheap" one come on an "ugly Stick" rod and have worked well on cats up into the 40+ lb. range and a 36lb. striper 2 nights ago. Oh, we caught two cats that night too. One was 27 Lbs, the other was 19lbs. so.

Comment

I'm not saying they're bad. I'm saying they're cheap. I've owned and used Ugly Stiks and know they work well.

Comment

Bait casters are the strongest reals out there. If you are going for large fish and you don't want them to get away use a bait caster.

Comment

Big O, rather than snapping at Shane, how about you answer the question as to why you like it over a baitcaster.

I'm with rabbitpolice I use a baitcaster for muskie because they are stronger.

Comment

I've got two really big set ups, one is an 8' rod with a Penn saltwater baitcaster on it, the othet is a 7' rod with a big old spinning reel. I've caught big fish from ponds, lakes and oceans on both. The stronger set up is definitely the 8' with the Penn. I found the other one cheap and bought it. It works well. I have not been able to duplicate the other setup nearly as inexpensive.

Comment

Not "snapping" just stating some facts, and I also have some "Good" baitcasters(Penn/Ambasator). I just seem to be able to throw bluegill farther with the spinners.

Comment

Having not used a current baitcaster (as probably a large portion of the population), along with the clear price difference between a good baitcaster and good spinning and spincasting reels, I'm intimidated from my experiences with "rats nests" before spinning reels were available. I've heard of all the new "magnetic this", "magnetic that", and other magical things which keep the new baitcasters from overrunning without the control of a well experienced thumb, but choose the spinning outfit because I still think I'll cast better, further, and easier, without as many and as bad tangles than if I used a baitcaster.

Comment

I agreed with rabbitpolice88 answer!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad