Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have purchased a wool fedora for bow hunting this Fall. Much like the one shown in photos of Fred Bear. The main reason for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cowboy hats of any description are useless in the Rockies in fall and winter, unless your kopf is threaded to screw it down. A Stormy Kromer or similar is about as good as it gets for cold weather hunting. However, I have been known to don a Pendleton wool fedora when the weather is mild. See photo page.

Comment

Fur blend hats have NOTHING over crushable wool. I have worn many fancy fur felt hats over the years both on and off the job. I'm through with them. Crushable wool hats keep their shape no matter if they have been soaked or sat on. Just as easy to keep clean and a helluva lot cheaper. Most I see worn are in the cheezey Crocodile Dundee style but look around and you'll be surprised at the options. I have a shorter brimmed sort-of cowboy style that I bought at a grocery store in Oakhurst, CA the year I was working at Yosemite before my son died. I have even had genuine cow punchers remark at how well that hat looks on me. Best I have seen yet. Check out Dortman Pacific's on-line catalog. LOTS to choose from there (including a line by Mossy Oak!)

I cannot imagine hiking any distance to a tree stand with a felt hat on, wool or fur. The objective to still hunting is to keep the smell down. Expect to get plenty sweaty if you're wearing that wool felt hat. Nice thing about the crushable is you can stuff it in your pack (which would trash a fur felt hat). That would help on the hike in but you're still going to sweat like a pig with that steambucket on in eighty degree temps no matter if you're just sitting on your butt. And if you sweat, you smell. Most of the safari style felt hats have vent holes in them which helps immensely. However, the holes don't help if it rains. Also, avoid the Aussie style hats with chin straps. They will have two holes punched in the brim right over the ears. A real treat if you get caught in a downpour! Also, never pick a lighter colored felt hat of any sort. Too hard to keep them clean. Dark brown or black are best.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad