Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have purchased a wool fedora for bow hunting this Fall. Much like the one shown in photos of Fred Bear. The main reason for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have purchased a wool fedora for bow hunting this Fall. Much like the one shown in photos of Fred Bear. The main reason for

I have purchased a wool fedora for bow hunting this Fall. Much like the one shown in photos of Fred Bear. The main reason for the fedora is the 2 1/2 in brim will not obstruct my string when I pull my bow back. My question is, will a wool fedora be too hot for early season temperatures near 80 degrees?

If you want to look like Fred you gotta pay the price. To look cool, you may be hot. Naw, I wear a wool hat everywhere. I feel the brim helps alleviate my deafness. Kind of like cupping my hands around my ears. Personally like 2 5/8 brim

Comment

Happy, I briefly considered a Rand and while on the Website I ran across a photo of a handsome cowboy behind a large buffalo. Maybe you know the guy? He did measure my head in Vegas so I know the fit would be good. Just too pricy.

Comment

I have the Filson wool hat(forest green) that I use and also the Filson tin cloth hat that would be good in warm weather(water proof).
        My favorite for real hot weather(hunting or fishing) is a Tilly with the mesh sides.

Comment

Buckhunter,

hollandhats.com/catalog/i1.html

This is a link for the Tilly LTM-6 hat I have. Also great for the kayak and canoe.

Comment

Buckhunter,
            Thanks for the calling me handsome, obviously you have not looked at my appearance in the Sitatunga photo. Maybe I should have left the hat on for that one. Kindest Regards

Comment

I come from a "cowboy" background.
              As for headgear, wool is cheap junk.
              Felt lasts and lasts and lasts. I had a wool "Crusher" (Cabela's I think?) that worked very well, I just looked like a "Deliverance" extra! LOL!
              A nice Stetson might cost a little more, but it looks good, feels good and wears well. ...and no, Stetson doesn't only make "Western" hats....nor Resistol. Both fine hats.
              Straw hats are "in fashion" from Easter until Labor Day only.
              Felt is "in fashion" Labor Day to Easter, but acceptable year round.
              A "man" removes his hat when he is introduced to a woman, enters a home, church or courtroom and for the Star Spangled Banner, Pledge of Allegiance and any public event prayer. It's just common courtesy.

Comment

Must confess this trip to Cameroon wore my Army canvas floppy brim hat.
                Deep jungle will not accommodate my Rand Hat

Comment

Jumbo, thank you for the tip but I have already ordered the hat.
                  Bubba, my hat is a fur/wool blend. I own a nice Stetson which is not suitable for hunting.
                  Happy, that is an impressive animal. I was on Peter's Website the other day shopping for hunts. I believe I am ready to send a deposit. I am hoping for a hunt in Namibia.

Comment

Buckhunter,
                    I have a fur felt fedora from my Michigan days that is too hot to get any use in California. The wool blend may help though.

Comment

buckhunter,
                      Is your safari bow or rifle? A guy I hunt with went bow only and would go back in a heartbeat.
                      If it is gun, I saw one called a rhino gun, it is a 50BMG LOL. That has to be over the top. Check out www.sportingadvertising.com/guns.htm. to see it. There was a nice win 70 and win 71 also, plus some rare models.

Comment

I have the ventilated Tilly, as well, and wear if for all my warm weather activities. Highly recommended. I even like the look, but my girlfriend sarcastically calls it my "sexy hat."

In cooler weather, I love a wool brimmed hat, though. I wish the Tilly was more conducive to sticking flies into.

Happy, congratulations on the sitatunga, I know it was a challenge for you. Beautiful animal.

Comment

Jimbo, My goal is a kudu with a recurve but I will have my compound as a backup.

Green, Thanks for the information but I try to stay away from things that make me sexy. Don't want the ladies following me to my tree stand. Lol

Comment

buckhunter
                            The suitabilities of a Stetson for hunting is open to debate.
                            My "hunting" chapeau changes seasonally. Normally a billed baseball type cap in the fall and winter and a "boonie" type for spring. About 3 years ago, I picked up a fully brimmed, ventilated "hat" (canvas?) for summer wear. This based on an acquaintance who wore caps unless in the rodeo arena had to have numerous melanomas removed from the edges of his ears.
                            My "summer" hat is a vain attempt to keep my ears from looking as if they've been chewed by rats! LOL!
                            I seldom venture out without head wear and prefer a "Western" hat for dress occasions.
                            Literally, if your hat feels "right", all else is moot.

BTW! Hope your proposed trip turns out well. Good hunting!

OH YES! HAPPY! Congratulations on a successful trip and a safe return. I hope ALL went as expected.

Comment

buckhunter, I have a trip to Namibia booked for October with a PH my brother-in-law has hunted with in the past. (Brother-in-law lives in Angola). He has had a great experience, but it was rifle hunting.

No first hand experience yet, but I would be happy to pass on the contact info and a recommendation from a reputable source. The PH's website says he does bowhunts.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                                by 99explorer
                                I love it when I have these guys on the ropes, with each one hoping the other will bail them out.
                                Hey CRM, have you heard any good conspiracy theories
                                Today, 10:19 PM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                              • Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                                by FirstBubba
                                "... I should have been in Africa yesterday. Damned coronavirus! ..."
                                Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; Today, 06:25 PM.
                                Today, 10:15 PM
                              • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                                by derek7
                                Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                                08-11-2020, 09:03 AM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by 99explorer
                                Keep it up.
                                We are still waiting for an answer to my question in comment #56.
                                Today, 10:15 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X