Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I use Cabela's Stalker Extreme carbon arrows and am accurate out to 40 yards. What arrows do you guys shoot? Do you think purc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I use Cabela's Stalker Extreme carbon arrows and am accurate out to 40 yards. What arrows do you guys shoot? Do you think purc

I use Cabela's Stalker Extreme carbon arrows and am accurate out to 40 yards. What arrows do you guys shoot? Do you think purchasing more expensive arrows would extend my effective range?

I shoot the carbon express maxima hunter. They work pretty good for me. I really haven't tried anything else.

Comment

buckeye - 40 yards is a long shot with a bow...if you're grouping fine with the arrows you have, then you don't need anything else for hunting because shooting ranges >40 yards at live animals is questionably ethical even for the most practiced archers.

Comment

I have never taken a shot at an animal over 30 yards, but I would like to go out west on an pronghorn hunt. A lot of my research says that I should be competent out to 50-60 yards.

Comment

More expensive arrows are generally made to tighter tolerances thus are more consistent. There are usually three different types of straightness's .006 .006 and.001. Arrows hat are .006 are usually around $50 while .003 are $75-90 and .001 are usually $110+. just about any competent shooter will see a different in groupings with .006 and .001 but it will take a very good shooter shooter to see differences between .006 and .003 or .003 to .001 but group differences can bee seen out of a hooter shooter. Also more expensive arrows are often more specialized. Like target arrows being very straight, often light and skinny for outdoor and wide for for indoor. I shoot Easton fmj arrows for hunting. they are heavy arrows with a carbon inside and aluminum outside with a straightness of .001 and are have a small diameter. I like heavy arrows because they do a lot for your bow. They quiet your bow, fly better in the wind, have flatter trajectories, cause less ware on strings, and have better penetration. The small diameter of the fmj's also help in wind and the aluminum outside makes them super tough. But good arrows don't always mean good shooting. All bows should be paper tuned with arrow spines that mach your bow.Also it does not matter how good yo equipment is if you don't use it right. so practice practice practice. Practice out to 90 or 100 yards so those 50 yard shots are a lot easier. Don't ever shoot any farther than you have practiced.

Comment

I not a good enough shot to see the difference between and arrow that is .003 straight or .006 straight. If I spend extra money for arrows it's for a durable finish, good fletching and good nocs.

I shoot Beman Classics.

Comment

I shoot the plain jane gold tips. I really like them. Your research on the ranges of western big game is correct. You need to be able to shoot longer distances than is typical in the whitetail woods. 50 yards would be a good milestone to reach. With todays equipment it is doable with practice.

Comment

My last statement should read " I'm not..."

Comment

The stalker extreme's have a.003 tolerance. I can make 50 yards shots and practice them regularly. My groups just are not as tight. do you think I would be better off just refletching my arrows with a 2 or 3 degree helical on my blazers. I shoot fixed blades.

Comment

yes a helical helps stabilize an arrow faster than an offset or straight fletch. I like the arizona EZ fletch. They are relatively inexpensive when it comes to fletching tools and extremely easy to use. Fred eichler has a good video on how to use the jig on youtube.

Comment

NO

Comment

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Comment

I use Easton Carbon Injexions and shoot 3 inch groups regularly at 70 yards.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad