Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the worst thing you have done to a knife or gun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the worst thing you have done to a knife or gun?

What is the worst thing you have done to a knife or gun?

It's a long story that I won't tell here, but I broke the blade of a good Old Timer sheath knife using it as a pry bar (no alternative and urgent) and for a gun, I forgot and left my Henry .22 in the case (stuck under the bed) all summer and the bluing got pitted with rust.

Comment

Carried it in a pickup. That is the absolute worst thing on any weapon.

Comment

I dropped a shotgun in the river duck hunting. Technically, I tripped in belly deep, late-November-cold water and came up without the gun. If you want to learn about cold, fish your Rem 870 out of that. I found it after about 10 minutes of diving. My buddy and my Lab were of no help and found the whole thing pretty funny.

Comment

Completely immersed and swimming when a boat capsized. The rifle was rinsed in fresh water, disassembled, cleaned and dried, and it fared better than the knife, which had leather sheath.

Comment

I forgot to check my jeans before washing one day and ended up with a pretty beat up "brand new until I did this" Case folder.
            As to guns, I let and idiot pick up one of my revolvers still in the holster, and before I could answer his question "is this loaded?" he pulled and released the hammer,ruining the holster and putting a hole in the side of my pick up.

Comment

Slipped and fell on some black ice and landed on my rifle. Broke the stock and a bone in my hand. Both were repairable.

Comment

I forgot to mention, some duct tape on the stock and i keep on hunting and went to a dispensary later to get a cast made.

Comment

As a kid my Mother sent me to sharpen her antler carving knife. Being young, dumb and in a hurry I used mt Dad's bench grinder. Instead of a stone. I got a very detailed instruction on metallurgy and the mistreatment of any tool approaching a Mortal Sin. The lecture has stayed with me some 50 years later and has become an obsessive trait.

Comment

My knives and guns are very well cared for, but I do lose pocket knives on occasion, so I never spend more than $20 on a pocket knife. Even my "beater" pocket knives have razor sharp blades.

Comment

Dropped a muzzleloader from my treestand.

Comment

As far as rifles, there are too many to tell and some are pretty embarrassing but here is one. I was cruising down a back road in the boonies of South Dakota. A fox ran right across in front of the car. I slammed on the emergency brake, grabbed my rifle and jumped out for a real quick shot. Seems the car was still going about 30 mph when my feet hit the road. I went a$#-over-tea-kettle and my rifle bounced end-over-end and skidded about 30 yards down the asphalt. The rifle was fine except for a few more scrapes but the scope was bent, missing a chunk and had to be thrown away. Lesson: don't jump out of the car until it slows way down.

The worst knife story :I broke a nice buck knife in half while throwing at trees one dull morning of deer hunting. Within 30 minutes after it broke, I got attacked by a big 10 point buck. Before I could shoot, he knocked the shotgun out of my hand. As he snorted, stomped and prepared to charge again, I jumped on top of his antlers to reduce the possibility of full penetration of those sharp tines. We went around for about 20 minutes with me bull dogging him several times, him scooping me off the ground, etc. I sure could have used that knife and had to end up smothering the deer by holding his nose and mouth shut when he just would not let me be. I couldn't even stand up for about 20 minutes and feel that was about as close to death as I have ever come (except one other time). Lesson: Don't throw your knife while hunting.

Comment

I was letting my .22 down one a rope from a treestand and the rope broke. it landed muzzle first into a nice soft mud patch. I took it home, ran a cleaning rod through the barrel to poke the mud out, and then cleaned it as usual. it didn't rust or anything and it still shoots quite well.

Comment

habb, My ML landed muzzle straight into the dirt. I wonder if all guns land that way or just a coincidence?

Comment

I was deer hunting during a light rain and after sun set and no success I went back to the truck and put my rifle in the hard case I happened to have with me. On my way out I got a phone call from my cousin that it was starting to pour rain and he'd shot a nice buck just before dusk and hadn't found it yet. After close to 8 hrs of searching for and gutting the buck, getting him dragged out, and then getting said cousins pick-up unstuck etc. My rifle was last priorities, it road about 50 miles in the case that way before I got to it. The foam innards of the case had gotten wet, dried out and scratched the stock all to pieces...

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad