Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for some input on the Redfield 2-7x33 scope. Anybody out there got some hands-on experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some input on the Redfield 2-7x33 scope. Anybody out there got some hands-on experience?

Looking for some input on the Redfield 2-7x33 scope. Anybody out there got some hands-on experience?

I have one that is over 50 years old and still in great shape. I do not have one of the new ones but with Leupold behind them i would think the quality is there.
    I do not know where the glass is made but understand they are assembled in the Philippines.

Comment

I've looked at redfield.com and can't seem to locate a plain fixed 4x Redfield scope.
      I need it for a .22 Hornet so don't really "need" a variable, though it might be nice.
      Leupold builds a 4x33mm but it's like $250+! My "tightwad" is sticking out.

Comment

Yeah jimbo, I've got a fixed 4x Redfield over 30 years old that is superb. It currently resides on top of a Ruger No. 1....and the wife refuses to turn loose of it! LOL! I even offered her a straight up swap for a 3-9 VX-III Leupold. No dice!

Comment

I had a great Redfield 3-9x40 back in the 60's and it was outstanding. I compared the current offering to several others recently when I bought a scope. I found it somewhat difficult to see the reticle. It was not as clear as others in the price range and it had a smaller field of view.

I would highly recommend the Vortex of your choice but the Diamondback is in the same price range and easily beats scopes twice its price. It is solid metal all around, has a warranty equivalent to the Redfield and makes the Redfield look pretty weak for the same money. I like its reticle as I do the Nikon reticle. My nephew bought the Vortex and has been elated with it and I got s used Nikon Monarch for the same price as the Redfield and have been elated with that. The Vortex Diamondback 3-9 would be great on your .22 Hornet and sells around here for about $180.

Comment

First Bubba,
            I have a Leupold Compact 4X on my .22 Hornet (photo in my profile) and it seems to complement the rifle/cartridge well. I purchased the scope on eBay for a very reasonable price!

Comment

EJP
              Is your scope the "rimfire" version?
              I've never used or even "seen" a Leupold rimfire scope. With a 1" tube, I don't think recoil (.22 Hornet vs. .22LR) would be a problem, but are they as rugged as their "big bore" counterparts?

Comment

Bubba,
                There are some vintage 4x redfields on e-bay right now for $130. Also a nice redfield 1 3/4 to 4 redfield bidding is at $76 now. These are 1" tubes but there are a few 3/4 " on there to. I would go for the 1" tubes.
                The 2x7 i have i bought new in 1962, i also have a 4x redfield widefield that i think i got on e-bay for about $125.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad