Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i use a cheep pinical combo bait casting real that i got from a buddy that couldn't cast it. i was fishing the other day and set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i use a cheep pinical combo bait casting real that i got from a buddy that couldn't cast it. i was fishing the other day and set

i use a cheep pinical combo bait casting real that i got from a buddy that couldn't cast it. i was fishing the other day and set the hook and broke that anti-reverse in the reel. how can i fix this or what is an under 40$ bait-casting reel that is worth the money?

Check out Bass Pro---some of their store brand reels are ok, but don't look for them to last a long time. You get what you pay for.

Comment

If you just want the reel, i would look for an abu garcia black max or silver max. I have a black max an i love it. I also was given a pfluger echelon that works good.

Comment

What reel do you have? How old is it? I repair reels as a hobby and most "baitcast" reels of recent manufacture use a one way bearing as an anti-reverse device. If it is a malfunctioning one way bearing, just a little reel oil will sometimes fix it. Do not use grease on it because grease is too thick for the proper function of the rollers in the bearing. Even though most of the one way bearings are usually made out of stainless steel, the inner races for them are made from sintered metal which is very subject to rust. So just give me the correct information about your reel and maybe I can help some how. But as to a good reel, I use US Reel SuperCasters myself but just about any reel on the market will work well if used properly. All the reels for sale today have had to be well proven in order to have made it to the market.

Comment

It's a pinical that's all I can tell you about it it can as a combo and I just got the reel from my friend it was 40$ for the combo at Walmart last year is all I can tell you about it

Comment

Pinnacle has two combo set-ups that use baircast reels. One set-up combo uses a VS55 "round reel" the other uses a LP100 low profile bass reel. The LP100 has a one way bearing to handle the anti-reverse duty. To service the one way bearing on the LP100, merely remove the handle by taking the nut cap screw, nut cap and then the nut off. Next remove the oblong handle washer which was under the handle. Then unscrew the star drag nut assembly. There is a clicker assembly under the star drag nut and note the position of the washers before removing. There will be two spring washers that go back to back, not nesting when you reassemble. There is a ball bearing on top of the one way needle bearing but by oiling the ball bearing, oil will pass through to reach the one way bearing. After oiling, reassemble the star drag and handle. The VS55 round reel can have a one way bearing and/or a anti-reverse pawl which rides on a ratchet gear. If you have a problem with the anti-reverse pawl, I do not suggest that you try to fix it yourself. Even though is is usually an easy fix, the reel needs to be completely dismantled and is best done by someone with experience.

In my personal opinion, Pinnacle builds some good low price reels and I have even used them to teach baitcasting to beginners. So the LP100's I used before switching to SuperCasters worked well enough for me. I seldom use round reels, but when I do, I prefer the Abu line. Round reels are not easy to palm, so I only use them when my low profile reels can not hold enough line for certain special needs type fishing. I hope this helps. Santa

Comment

opps, "baitcast" not baircast

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad