Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What else do you need for a cleaning kit after you have the equipment to clean the gun? examples of what kind of oil or lubricat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What else do you need for a cleaning kit after you have the equipment to clean the gun? examples of what kind of oil or lubricat

What else do you need for a cleaning kit after you have the equipment to clean the gun? examples of what kind of oil or lubrication

If you've purchased a cleaning kit, you're off to a good start, but you may have different tastes in solvent or lubricant, determined by trial and error. Under normal circumstances, you really don't have to lubricate heavily. Keep a good supply of bristle brushes and patches on hand, since the quantity supplied in a kit is simply a start. Q-tips, old toothbrushes, pipe cleaners and other items are helpful. Use whatever you need to get into and clean the tight spaces, ports and crevices. As for solvents, I still seem to rely more heavily on Hoppe's No. 9, but I use others as well. I use oils sparingly, and I can't remember the last time I used grease or Lubriplate on a sporting firearm. Enjoy your rifle; taking care of it should be part of the "ritual" of shooting, and the time we took to clean our equipment was a welcomed opportunity to enjoy conversation with my son and daughter.

Comment

The one place you might actually want grease is on any threaded magazine tube cap or choke threads.

Comment

Edward J. Palumbo

Do you purchase any type of Hoppe's No. 9 or is there a specific type?

Comment

EJP is spot on as always. Lubricants and solvents depend on your style of cleaning. A couple of things that I am pretty strict about are one piece cleaning rods and bore guides. One piece rods and bore guides prevent damage to the bore. I try to limit my brushing so I use more solvents than Hoppe's No. 9. I use Hoppes to remove carbon and lead fouling, but I use Barnes solvent to remove copper fouling. I use a lot of patches and do very little brushing, but that's a personal thing. I run an oiled patch after cleaning to prevent corrosion. I use Hoppe's No. 9, Barnes C-10, Butch's Bore Shine and a spray product similar to "Gum Out" for cars that removes, powder, lead and copper but will damage the bore if left in too long.

Comment

I use LPS#2 in an aerosol can to squirt oil into hard-to-reach places, and I keep an oiled cloth in a plastic bag handy for wiping down metal surfaces after handling.
            I wish there were a small tin oil can with a long neck on the market for placing just one drop where you want it, but they all seem to come in short-necked plastic bottles. I use an eyedropper.

Comment

I use kerosene and a snake first to get out powder residue (hoppies no 9 is 70% kerosene) Then i use a jag with an oiled patch with J-B non embedding bore cleaner. J-B has a paste for regular steel and another for stainless. I finish with a patch with rem oil for storage.
              Brownells has a new lubricant called Friction Defense Xtreme Gun Oil. Temperature range of -100F to +550F
              On sale right now for $7.99 for 4oz aerosol .

Comment

I like Barnes' CR-10 as a copper solvent. It is easy to use and takes out copper fouling that others leave behind. It is quick and easy to use. I haven't found another that cleans a bore so completely and so easily.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Another New Upper
                  by DakotaMan
                  I haven't tried the 6.5 Grendel PH. It is a pretty powerful close range cartridge for its size but it isn't fast enough with those heavier bullets to...
                  Today, 02:20 PM
                • Another New Upper
                  by DakotaMan
                  Milldawg inspired me so I finished my new 6mm AR upper as a Covid time killer project. I had made a 6mm Creedmoor with an 8 twist Bartlein barrel for...
                  Today, 12:54 PM
                  by DakotaMan
                  He used H4350 and the Berger 105g Hybrid. He cleaned it religiously but didn't know about carbon ring until I saw the barrel. Overbore cartridges cause...
                  Today, 02:11 PM
                  by PigHunter
                  That's a nice project! Have you tried the 6.5 Grendel and if so, what's your opinion of it?
                  Today, 02:05 PM
                • Reply to 16 Years
                  by PigHunter
                  You're right, I'm an Agnostic. But, I've been a Christian, Sunday School teacher, and lay preacher. With an hour's prep I could probably deliver a decent...
                  Today, 02:00 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X