Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody have trouble sharpening Buck knives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody have trouble sharpening Buck knives?

Does anybody have trouble sharpening Buck knives?

Nope, I use two steels in different grits. They don't hold their edge as well as some other knives but I like them for field dressing.

Comment

I like Buck Knives but they don't hold an edge, like my PUMA PAL I can Gut and Skin Two deer with my PUMA and only do 1/2 a deer with my Buck, it all come down to what steel the blade is made of. Ya just cant beat German Steel.
      Ps: Got the Buck as a Gift.

Comment

I find Buck knives just too persnickety to deal with. I went back to Case and plain old carbon steel blades. Easily sharpened and holds an edge.

Comment

Contact Buck about their sharpening service. They have a double concave sharpening process that is suppose to be better than the basic hollow ground edge.

Comment

I have a guy I work with who does wonders with my buck knife. Of course he sharpens wood planes to the point you can shave with them, so he's a little out there. All I know is it is so sharp by the time he's done with it, it makes field dressing a piece of cake. Even gets through the sternum without much fuss.

Comment

yes and no. I have an older buck that holds an edge well and very sharp. I have a newer one and it takes forever to get sharp and loses its edge quickly. For that reason I quit buying them and use gerber.

Comment

No. Get a WorkSharp.

Comment

Nope Cause I use a CASE. (OK that was cheating)

Comment

Never a problem sharpening my Buck knives. I typically use crock sticks, and find that my knives are good for multiple guttings.

Comment

My brother says that he has had some trouble shapening his buck 110, but I can get my one 119 razor sharp without very much effort.

Comment

I have several buck knifies and find that the best way to sharpen them is on natural stone with a medium grit and then go over it with a very fine diamond stone.

Comment

My Buck will cut a bolt just like the logo shows, but forget about anything else.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad