Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you sharpen or what do you use to your knives.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you sharpen or what do you use to your knives.

How do you sharpen or what do you use to your knives.

I have a number of tools. Small diamond sharpener for the field. Larger one for the camp site. But the kitchen knives. Nothing but cold steel rod touches them. I do have a Chefs grinder I bought when I had a poor set of knives and they would lose their edge and I would have to regrind it, it hasn’t been used next to forever. I used to have wet stones, but cold steel works better.

Comment

Lately, I've use the Workshop. Every once in a while I use a Lansky.

Comment

I will use anything from a 12' mill bastard to a razor strop, with coarse and fine stones and steels in between. It depends on the quality of the knife and what kind of shape it's in. I've had folks ask me to put an edge on some knives that had apparently been used to cut bricks, and I go straight to the file to remove enough steel so I can form a tapered edge. With my own knives, I'm like Rocky and only use a steel most of the time. My Worksharp tool does a good job, but I'd rather do it by hand.

Comment

I use my Worksharp which replaced the Lansky which replaced the stone. I still finish with a strop when I have time but the Worksharp does well enough for 99% of my needs.

Comment

I use my Worksharp to start on most knives. Once I have the edge with that, I just use a steel to maintain my kitchen knives. At some point, I may have to put them back on the Worksharp, but a year in, they steel has kept them in good shape.

Pocket knives occasionally get a round with the Worksharp fine belt, or medium if I have really abused them.

Assuming I don't do anything stupid, my skinning knife is treated like the kitchen knives.

Comment

I use a Smith's tri-hone and a dura edge shapener.

Comment

Worksharp and I have a Lansky system too.

Comment

Worksharp here

Comment

I just use the bottom of a porcelain coffee mug. It actually works really well.

Comment

A large sharpening stone with little oil.

Comment

Worksharp.

Comment

Work Sharp. However, I have a pistol case with three oil stones and oil that goes with me to deer camp should it be needed.

Comment

I use a lansky

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad