Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does every think of the Vortex Viper 3-9x40? I'll be putting it on a Sako A7 in .308, and being that I'm 15 I plan on it be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does every think of the Vortex Viper 3-9x40? I'll be putting it on a Sako A7 in .308, and being that I'm 15 I plan on it be

What does every think of the Vortex Viper 3-9x40? I'll be putting it on a Sako A7 in .308, and being that I'm 15 I plan on it being my primary hunting rifle for years to come. I've got around 350 bucks to spend on a scope, and the Viper is listed for 3 bones on Amazon right now. Should I get it? Or does someone have a better recommendation for the same price range? I haven't read many reviews that have put leupold ahead of vortex. All thoughts are appreciated as always guys, thanks!

There is a 2x7 on e bay, new for $260. free shipping.

Comment

Wow 15 years old and with such good taste in rifle and cal.,it a great start you have going! I have no experience with the vortex scopes but have read good things about them on this site.Seems to me your on the right track good luck and keep us informed on how it works out for you.

Comment

Personally, I don't think you will find a better 3-9x40 scope for that money. It's actually way better than most hunters need unless they do very long range shooting. I've tested them next to the Nikon Monarch, Leupold VXII and VXIII, Bushnell Elite and a variety of others. They have a very wide field of view with amazing clarity, a great hunting reticle, and a top notch warranty and above all accuracy on par with the Leupold VXIII. I feel and shoot more like the Leupold VXIII for about half the price. Leupold better get to work or they may not last competing with this scope.

Comment

My last two scopes have been 2x7 and 1.25x8 and I don't miss the extra magnification at all. Nor the extra weight/bulk. Check out some of the smaller or even fixed power scopes before you plunk down your money. Unless you are taking really long shots they will be all the scope you ever need.
          That being said the more popular 3x9's often have good deals on them during sales. Good luck whichever way you go and enjoy the new Sako.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad