Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buck 3 inch Omni Hunter.

Comment

My favorite is my Buck Packlite Skinner, not overly long, very light for going in a long ways. As with every Buck knife I own it takes a bit to sharpen, however it holds an edge better than the 110 folding hunter that seems to always find a place in my pack. It held its edge through the first three deer of season, gutted for my physically challenged hunters. Touched the blade up for elk hunting and handled my bull with no problem, another touch up and it finished season on two big whitetail does.

Comment

Opinel #10 Carbon Steel.

Comment

Schrade+ pro hunter #2
          Case fixed blade with leather handle or
          Buck pathfinder or Buck 119.
          Depends on what i am hunting.
          I also have a fixed blade/ hatchet combo i keep handy in the ATV.

Comment

I have many knives from custom hand made to cheap folders. But a cheap fixed blade 5 1/2" with a gut hook and rubber grips is the one I usually carry. It retains sharpness and I wouldn't be out too much if lost in the field. CRKT Wild River

Comment

I use one made by a fellow named John Toner from AZ (cdknives.com). It has a guard that is part of the handle. The guard flips down to cover the point when you open the animal. It is like having a zipper. Sounds gimmicky but works like a charm.
              I use a wire saw for the pelvis and I have found that I can cut the ribs away from the sternum with the same knife in less time. Elk I used a saw from Outdoor Edge.

Comment

Cabela's guide series Traditional hunter(wood handle) bought the knife about 5 years ago and have found no use for another knife. Gutted and skinned 4 deer with it last year before I felt like sharpening it again and I didn't really need to. For a $40 knife I am still very impressed with it, you can't beat it!

Comment

I need to add too, that when I gut a deer I split the rib cage and pelvis with my knife.

Comment

Hello all, Rick Genovese here. I have a slight correction for Happy Miles comment. I am alive and very healthy and still making knives in my Dolores,Co. shop. The deceased knifemaker was my good friend and awesome knifemaker Jim Hardenbrook who unfortunately died just a few miles from my cabin. Please check my website:www.rickgenoveseknives.com to see what I'm making these days. Thanks, Rick Genovese

Comment

Many apologies Rick. As so often relying on second hand information is always risky. Checked my knife collection, and indeed have a knife by Hardenbrook and one by you, both given to me by a friend many years ago. I like yours the best. It has been used all over the world, Africa, Mexico, Canada, continental US, Alaska, Middle East ( all of the "Stan's") sheep hunting. Promise to check your website. What is the old saying, "the rumor of my demise is highly exaggerated".

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad