Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

update on the Belgian Mauser: the trigger is horrid but my first three shots @ 100 yards measured .77 inch (see picture)! The cl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• update on the Belgian Mauser: the trigger is horrid but my first three shots @ 100 yards measured .77 inch (see picture)! The cl

update on the Belgian Mauser: the trigger is horrid but my first three shots @ 100 yards measured .77 inch (see picture)! The clicks on the old universal 4x are kind of off. more range time is needed but this old gun is a keeper. Any advice on a trigger upgrade?

I put a Timney on my M48 it money well spent. Clean it good if your shooting surplus ammo to prevent rust.

Comment

I add my recommendation for a Timney trigger. I've put them on three Mausers (an M1909 Argentine, an M1908 Brazilian, and a M93 Spanish Mauser) and a Remington Model 600, and I am very pleased.

Comment

I installed a Timney trigger on a Swedish Mauser. Like Hobob I found it fully adjustable and worth the money.

Comment

Nice shooting! I'd also recommend a Timney. I've had one on my Mauser for 45 years or so and it has shot .1 MOA groups with the right barrel. There is a pic on my profile of mine with a custom barrel and some of the decent groups it shoots. I'll bet that if you put a trigger on it and glass/pillar bed it, your groups will be less than .5 MOA, especially if you can reload and find a nice harmonic load. You can glass bed it yourself pretty easily with a bedding kit. That action will bed almost as well as a $2000 bench rest action. YOu might have to put a better scope on it to home in. Most of those old 4xs were not capable of high level accuracy because of paralax.
          I still think you got a great deal. Congratulations!

Comment

Nice shooting! I'd also recommend a Timney. I've had one on my Mauser for 45 years or so and it has shot .1 MOA groups with the right barrel. There is a pic on my profile of mine with a custom barrel and some of the decent groups it shoots. I'll bet that if you put a trigger on it and glass/pillar bed it, your groups will be less than .5 MOA, especially if you can reload and find a nice harmonic velocity with the rightr seating depth. You can glass bed it yourself pretty easily with a bedding kit. That action will bed almost as well as a $2000 bench rest action. You might have to put a better scope on it to home in. Most of those old 4xs were not capable of high level accuracy because of paralax.
            I still think you got a great deal. Congratulations!

Comment

timney it is! now to talk the wife about how i "need" a new scope for it.

Comment

357, although there are better scopes, there are not better values than a $200 Vortex Diamondback for your use. It will outperform the Nikon Monarch and the Leupold VX2 and all Bushnells for accuracy, reliability and view. If you can afford the Vortex Viper, you will have an amazing scope for the money. Realistically, that stock barrel does not warrant a $2000 scope but will shoot mighty fine with a good one. A big plus is that the wife talk is much easier if the scope costs in the $200-$400 range than if it exceeds $600... Been there, done that!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad