Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So about a week ago I picked up a new knife from a vendor at a show. The guy who made them was selling them and he made the knif

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So about a week ago I picked up a new knife from a vendor at a show. The guy who made them was selling them and he made the knif

So about a week ago I picked up a new knife from a vendor at a show. The guy who made them was selling them and he made the knife out of a file blade. Looks like a nice knife and is sharp, hopefully I get to use it this weekend to skin. I was wondering if anyone has anything like it and what you guys thought about it?

File steel makes a great knife. Also, some use old circular saw blades - 12" or bigger so they can get a good size piece of steel out if it. Hollow out a good size antler and you can make your own.

Comment

I have no first-hand experience with this, but I've heard of knives being made from files, but the rap on them was that they were so hard they were brittle, and prone to breakage.

Comment

Knives made from older file steel that was made in the U.S.A. are great IF the maker knows the proper tempering process. Just grinding out a knife from file steel will result in a blade that is too brittle, as 99 points out.
        I have one that was left to me by my Father, and this knife will hold an edge through gutting and quartering three to four deer, including splitting the ribcage. I had a large Bowie made from a horseshoe rasp that would chop down a good sized sapling with ease. Really depends on the skill and knowledge of the knife maker.

Comment

Thanks guys. The guy seemed to know what he was doing, but also told me that he would waranty the knife for life. if something happend to the knife he would fix or take care of it. As is now I cant wait to use it. I would like it to be something that I could pass to my child like you have crm3006

Comment

They make good extremely sharp knives. They can be brought back to an extremely shape edge after using but like someone said DON'T try to pry with it or you will break it because they are brittle. If you don't pry with it you have a fine knife.

Comment

Also, keep those knives well-oiled. After cleaning, wipe it dry with a dishtowel and then wipe the blade down with cooking oil on a clean and dry paper towel before storing it in the scabbard. If the scabbard gets wet when you're out hunting, make sure it gets thoroughly dried out before storing the knife in it. File steel knives retain great blades but they will pit and rust easily if not looked after carefully.

Comment

I have made several and one of my employees makes them. Its fun.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad